How do these fluids look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2009 Honda Fit with 120,500 miles on it, with decent records of maintenance. Not great, not terrible. Car runs well, but within the first week I had to replace the spark plugs, which had blow-by on cylinders 2, 3, 4.

I really want to take care of this car. It's been a few years since I've owned one, but I've always done my own maintenance. That said, my maintenance has always been pretty light. This is the highest mileage vehicle I've owned. So I want to make sure I do it right.

First up is oil.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't know what oil it is, but to my eyes, it looks good. That said, I've only ever run synthetic, and since this vehicle was just taken to the dealership whenever it needed something, I'm sure it's a generic 5W-30, which is fine. If I have any concern, it's that I'm not sure how full this is. Any concerns looking at this oil? I know there's only so much you can tell by looking at this.

Next is ATF.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've also never owned an automatic transmission vehicle, so this one's completely new to me. If it's anything like MT fluid, then again, this looks okay to me. I will say that it was difficult to get anything on the dip stick, and even when I did, it was difficult to read. What you see here were my best pulls.

I'll be checking my coolant soon too.

If in doubt, change the oil.

The ATF fluid looks "typical" for Honda ATF; it doesn't stay red for very long. Just plan on doing a few drain and refills (3 qt each time) with new fluid.

After buying a used car, I change out all fluids and filters to provide a starting point for future maintenance under my care. I have yet to buy a used car that came with a decent log book of maintenance and repair.

Y'all are right up my thought process.

I'm definitely going to change out the fluids. It's a bit tough right now, though. This is our first time owning a vehicle since having moved into an apartment in the city. It's illegal to change fluids on the street, so I've gotta find someone to let me use their driveway, and whom has jack and stands. I have a buddy about 30 minutes away that has my old jack and stands, but he's such a pack rat, it's a task to ask him to pull them out. Haha!

I'm going to change out the coolant for Zerex Asian Blue, the oil for Rotella T6 5W-40 or PP HM, oil filter either for a Fram Ultra XG7317, NAPA Gold 7356, or PurolatorONE PL14610. I think I'm going to go the Valvoline MaxLife + Lubegard Red route.

Originally Posted by The Critic

The ATF fluid looks "typical" for Honda ATF; it doesn't stay red for very long. Just plan on doing a few drain and refills (3 qt each time) with new fluid.

A few drain and refills all at the same time, or just over shorter intervals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DavidDoes

Originally Posted by The Critic

A few drain and refills all at the same time, or just over shorter intervals?

Typically at the same time - just drive several miles between each one.

At your mileage you will also need to do a valve adjustment. The exhaust valves tend to get tight on these engines.

The engine calls for 5W-20 (or 0W-20 on the later models).

Originally Posted by Kestas
After buying a used car, I change out all fluids and filters to provide a starting point for future maintenance under my care.

+1

DavidDoes said:

I'm definitely going to change out the fluids. It's a bit tough right now, though. This is our first time owning a vehicle since having moved into an apartment in the city. It's illegal to change fluids on the street, so I've gotta find someone to let me use their driveway, and whom has jack and stands. I have a buddy about 30 minutes away that has my old jack and stands, but he's such a pack rat, it's a task to ask him to pull them out. Haha!

I've watches dozens of people change their own oil in the parking lot of Walmart or Autozone. Never done it myself though. I would change all the fluids, but OCD. Congrads on your purchase...Best of luck

Quick rule of thumb... If it has a petroleum / chemical smell, it's probably OK. If it smells musky and burned, its a potential cause for concern.

Originally Posted by mclasser
After buying a used car, I change out all fluids and filters to provide a starting point for future maintenance under my care.

+1

+2

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
When in doubt, change it out!

One of my favorite lines, especially when buying a used car.

whenever i have bought a used car one of the first things i do is change the fluids like motor oil tranny and coolant. this way i know whats in there and start off new.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by mclasser

+1

+2

+3

After buying a used car, I change out all fluids and filters to provide a starting point for future maintenance under my care. I have yet to buy a used car that came with a decent log book of maintenance and repair.

01.gif

Originally Posted by Onetor
DavidDoes said:

I've watches dozens of people change their own oil in the parking lot of Walmart or Autozone. Never done it myself though. I would change all the fluids, but OCD. Congrads on your purchase...Best of luck

This^^^^ I'm one of those guys who has changed fluids in parking lots at Walmart or Autozone. I travel extensively for work; I keep tools in my vehicle trunk and have changed fluids in parking lots and truck stops, use common sense, pick out a level shady spot, immediately pour the oil into a gallon container and walk right in and give them the oil for recycling. I've ever been given any trouble, several times people have asked if I needed help, which I kindly refuse.
cheers3.gif

I would use a 0W20 instead of 0W40. The engine may use a little oil changing to synthetic on the first oil change. I had a used 2006 Honda and it used a little a first and it quit after I added one quart. The next oil change it didn't use any. The AT fluid is a little dark in my onion. I would do a drain and fill and run it about 5,000 miles and do it again. Repeat again after 5,000 miles. You are ok on the anti freeze. I thing 0W40 is too thick for your Honda engine.

Originally Posted by Onetor

When I went to AutoZone the other day, there were two or three vehicles getting their oil changed.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Definitely change all the fluids,especially the atf. I always make sure mine is bright red.

I was originally thinking about doing this, then figured it was probably okay because they looked fine. But my obsessive trait usually comes out when it comes to maintenance... Looks like Target of all places has a sale on PP HM, too, so I might just go grab some.

Can you lift each corner and service (clean, inspect, relube) the brake glide pins? Do this one wheel at a time.

While doing this, wire brush the bleed nipples and add a drop or two of ATF + acetone to get a jump on freeing them up.

THEN HAVE THE BRAKE FLUID FLUSHED IF IT'S BROWN.

Without any service record pertaining to coolant, guaranteeing its condition with a change out is smart.
If there's crud in the bottom of your coolant reservoir, it might be wise to drain, rinse with plain water, use a commercial cleaner then rinse again rolling into distilled water then go with new Honda coolant.

All this talk about parking lot servicing! Maybe a local auto parts store lot is better than general population stores' lots like Walmart. You'll be more easily overlooked there. You wouldn't change your oil in front of a Home Goods, would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back