How do Paypal / Craigslist scams work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One very important note regarding all of these scenarios:

You are 100% responsible for the deposits you accept and make. No matter what the circumstances, a bank can hold you both civilly and criminally liable for fraudulent deposits made by you.

There have been plenty of occasions where a person was arrested inside of a bank while trying to cash or deposit a fraudulent check sent to them.

What makes matters worse is that so many banks these days refuse to verify funds, accounts, or any information at all.

The other hinky scam I've been getting when selling parts is that I'll get someone who will eagerly agree to all terms and prices, and then once the deal has been sealed they will then contact me accusing me of all sorts of shade and demand I ship C.O.D.

This is another version of the same game. These are almost always people who intend to present a fake cashier's check upon delivery. As you never even get to touch the method of payment, you have no way of verifying anything.

The way I have always gotten these people is by claiming to know someone who has a police officer friend in their area who I will ship the item to and have them do the exchange of payment for goods.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If they are using PayPal, a lot of times they will load their PayPal account with fraudulent funds/stolen credit cards.

They will always over pay. Then ask you to "refund" the money or forward money to an "agent".

Once PayPal realizes the funds are fraudulent ( a week later), they will hold you responsible for the missing funds if you have already withdrawn the funds.

That's probably the best explanation of how this scan works I've heard so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back