how do dodge 4.7's hold up with out oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine owns a '04 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7. He bought it used with 20k miles. He has 30k'ish now. He has never changed the oil.

I dont think he would even know how to check the oil.

Your thoughts about it's expected life?

I have no time to help him change it.

shocked.gif
I dunno, but it can't be good without an oil change soon.
nono.gif
Send him to an "Iffy Lube" or WalMart quick, before it's too late!
cheers.gif

Dont worry. he will not change it, have something fail and Dr Z will fix under warranty:)

Then he will write consumer reports and tell them how bad Dodge is;)

Chrysler recommends 3,000/6,000 mile oil changes. The 4.7 is a good engine but has a potential sludging problem if not serviced regularly.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
It's over halfway through it's expectant life anyway.

Why bother?

Why bother posting if you don't have anything to contribute. People post questions wanting to know more about their cars and don't really care about your anti-Domestic position.

If the engine has been serviced regulary before he took ownership then If he changed the oil Right Now I dont think it would be to much of a problem its just if this continues much longer,Then they'll be a engine in peices a few thousand miles down the road.

Once the oil level gets low, it will die a rather quick death. Not changing oil has an avalanche effect. Oil breaks down, then it can't clean or lubricate properly, oil consumption rises, oil level gets low faster, temps rise, and one day it croaks. More events happen than that, but that gives a rough idea.

Your friend needs Jiffy Lube. Oil changing for the lazies!

Their tough engines, But I really dont know of any that will take that kind of abuse very long.

I hate to hear of anybody doing that stuff to a vehicle of any kind. Some poor sucker will end up with it one day.

I have a 4.7 dakota and know alot of people over 160,000 miles with no major prob. so I guess by your standards they are on borrowed time.

its like any engine. its not good to run that long with no oil change. tell your friend either give up $30 bucks for an oil change or expect to spend 6 to 8 thousand dollars for new engine and instalation.

It may be ok if its changed out soon. 10k is not out of control on oil. Not good but really likely only 4k miles over. It really depends on his driving.

My wife's close friend got yelled at by a mechanic as she passed 20k miles a 94 Camry on same oil back when it had about 60k. Guess what its 2006 it still runs a bit rough but problem free at 220k miles. No engine work to this day.

On the plus side the 4.7 holds 6 qts of oil and I think it is a internet wives tail that they sludge.

Some on JU and DOC board have 200K miles on the 99sh model DAKs, durangos and WJ's and no issues with the engines if maintained. Of course if people want to push the intervals out and dont check oil level I guess you can trash any engine.

He might have voided his warranty if he has gone 4K over the maximum oil-change interval....it most likely won't kill it, but if he needs warranty work, he might be SOL.....

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Why bother posting if you don't have anything to contribute. People post questions wanting to know more about their cars and don't really care about your anti-Domestic position.

What's happening Cletus? Give me a shout sometime.

BTW,

I know of a few Dodge truck engines that were taken care of and didn't make 100k miles.

One I know was driven softly (think lil' old lady to church and the grocery store) and it ended up needing a rear main seal and bearings before 80K miles.

The other one locked up before 80K miles.

The first truck went through 3 transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back