How do axle ratios affect engine longevity?

HT4100 was their first try at making a complicated unreliable engine.

I meant they perfected unreliability and overcomplexity. They are terrible engines. There is a reason a mint Caddy with low miles is $3k.
I tend to agree with you to a certain point. I actually really liked the 4.6 North* very much other than that gasket issue & I think they are bargains in the used auto segment. Comfy boat that floated down the road with 300HP. They came with lots of features for the day (Liquid cooled Alternator :LOL: ). Did burn a quart of oil every 1k which GM said was normal. I would love to get my hands on a, last year, rear weal drive variant in a Seville sedan. They just never received the popularity in the used market like say a BMW. In the era we're talking about was when they were trying to compete with German cars but you already know that I'm sure. Since we're on the subject of Northstars that begs my next question... What does your Screen name mean? Thanks!

Topic:

Low speed/Heavy = Lower Gears to give "Longer Life" for not just the engine but also the drive train.
High Speed/Light = Higher Gears to give "Longer Life" for not just the engine but also the drive train & MPG.

And to quote another website

"A smaller engine will need a lower rear end to give adequate acceleration. A more powerful engine can use a higher rear end to give relaxed cruising and a higher top speed."

So it seems to be a lot about the driver experience, expected driving in city, driving on the highway, etc. This is where the manufacturer has done a lot of homework for us. They've selected the avg "best" for the masses with options to change a step up or down.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you to a certain point. I actually really liked the 4.6 North* very much other than that gasket issue & I think they are bargains in the used auto segment. Comfy boat that floated down the road with 300HP. They came with lots of features for the day (Liquid cooled Alternator :LOL: ). Did burn a quart of oil every 1k which GM said was normal. I would love to get my hands on a, last year, rear weal drive variant in a Seville sedan. They just never received the popularity in the used market like say a BMW. In the era we're talking about was when they were trying to compete with German cars but you already know that I'm sure. Since we're on the subject of Northstars that begs my next question... What does your Screen name mean? Thanks!

Topic:

Low speed/Heavy = Lower Gears to give "Longer Life" for not just the engine but also the drive train.
High Speed/Light = Higher Gears to give "Longer Life" for not just the engine but also the drive train & MPG.

And to quote another website

"A smaller engine will need a lower rear end to give adequate acceleration. A more powerful engine can use a higher rear end to give relaxed cruising and a higher top speed."

So it seems to be a lot about the driver experience, expected driving in city, driving on the highway, etc. This is where the manufacturer has done a lot of homework for us. They've selected the avg "best" for the masses with options to change a step up or down.
I've owned 3 Cadillacs. Last one was a 2000 Deville with the Northstar obviously. It was a great car with some extremely irratitating flaws. Leaking oil and coolant gaskets, broken side(front of vehicle) motor mounts because they decided to remove the top mount for a few years, burned oil like crazy.

My screen name refers to the Northstar extreme oil burning. I would go through a case during an OCI. It finally ruined the catalytic converter again and CA updated smog laws to automatically fail anything with visual smoke. The thing was mint with 180k miles on it. Got $1200 for it, new owner totaled it in a hit and run soon after. It was painful after taking such good care of it.

I've owned 3 Cadillacs. Last one was a 2000 Deville with the Northstar obviously. It was a great car with some extremely irratitating flaws. Leaking oil and coolant gaskets, broken side(front of vehicle) motor mounts because they decided to remove the top mount for a few years, burned oil like crazy.

My screen name refers to the Northstar extreme oil burning. I would go through a case during an OCI. It finally ruined the catalytic converter again and CA updated smog laws to automatically fail anything with visual smoke. The thing was mint with 180k miles on it. Got $1200 for it, new owner totaled it in a hit and run soon after. It was painful after taking such good care of it.
Very Interesting... That one was definitely a "2 stoke oil burner" as your name implies. I would feel the same way after your experience but mine was good putting 45k on it until I sold it after it blew. Thanks for sharing that.

Back