How did you select your User Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched the Board Rules and all I can find is this:

11. Upon registration, members may select their username. Members are advised to choose wisely and select a name that is appropriate by broadly accepted standards. Whether or not a selected username is appropriate and may be used shall be determined in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. Members agree that a decision to reject or disallow the use of a member's chosen username is absolutely final, and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum. User names that contain any form of a domain name, company name, or product name will not be approved.

That being said. Please, I mean no disrespect and I can't see where this invades anyones privacy(unless you feel so yourself) or our Board Rules. Add only as much information as you feel comfortable releasing.

I am only curious to how members have selected User Name. Some user names are very obvious and others are not.
Please participate only if you feel no privacy violation
smile.gif

I'll start! First, let me say that I enjoy the privacy of the forum setting and knowing all of you by your "call sign". I don't necessarily want to meet in public with anyone and get to know the members better than what we all experience here at Bob's.

My User Name is Char Baby. I selected this name as it represents a man of influence to our family in the 1930's & 40's. His name was Charlie. Charlie Baby was what he was know as. Everyone knew Charlie Baby!

If you or your family needed something such as help, advise, money or a job etc., Charlie Baby was who you went to see. Though Charlie Baby knew people, NO Charlie Baby was not he God Father!
smile.gif
Just a good man held in high esteem in our circle.

I use his name in the highest regard and it makes for great conversation in our family when we talk about the past. I only met Charlie Baby once along time ago in the 50's and then he passed away!

I used my legal first and last name then merged them together.

Also my username on another car forum and the color of my favorite car.

My username was my email and user ID in college, which is when I signed up here on BITOG. I've since switched user IDs for all my other accounts to something more grown-up.. Volk comes from the first part of my last name, 06 comes from 2006.

When I joined I told myself no, don't be one of those guys who makes their username after their car. Don't be silly like that and be a man!!!!! I was nervous to but part of my name down, and I absolutely had no idea what else to use, so I names it after my first car, 79sunrunner. Sunrunner standing for the special edition package my MG Midget has, and 79 for the year.

My first name is James. Some friends and co-workers used to call me Jimmy for short. 9190 is the date of my first wedding, Sept. 1, 1990. When my first wife and I got our first home computer back around 1995 and used AOL I used Jimmy and our anniversary date for my AOL user name. My first wife died in 2004 but I was Jimmy9190 on most internet boards before I lost her and I still use that same user name most of the time now. It just kind of stuck with me I guess.

A few days after I bought my new truck, I started searching for advice on how to decide on which oil to use in it. As a result, I discovered BITOG and the username selection seemed to be a natural (and still held some privacy). PS...I have learned an enormous amount of information in just 3.5 years.

Mine is quite simple:

I tend to do most things to the excess. Back in the early 90's when I was probably around 12 somebody remarked on something I was doing/building and that it was serious overkill. It stuck. I used the handle on IRC and pretty much any form of social media from that point forward.

I have always used it in full caps as well, because I thought it looked better
smile.gif

I've had numerous close friends tell me my username is very appropriate. I always tell them "I know, that's why I chose it!"
grin.gif

One of the first boards I signed up for on the internet was about bass guitars, and I accidentally used my real name. During the sign up process, I expected a place where I could add a screen name, but it never came, and I was stuck using my real name for quite a while. The owner of the board was a kind of [censored] guy, who didn't really want to do anything for you unless you were a "supporting member". So, in the future, I tried to be a little more "stealthy" about my real name.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have searched the Board Rules and all I can find is this:

11. Upon registration, members may select their username. Members are advised to choose wisely and select a name that is appropriate by broadly accepted standards. Whether or not a selected username is appropriate and may be used shall be determined in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. Members agree that a decision to reject or disallow the use of a member's chosen username is absolutely final, and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum. User names that contain any form of a domain name, company name, or product name will not be approved.

That being said. Please, I mean no disrespect and I can't see where this invades anyones privacy(unless you feel so yourself) or our Board Rules. Add only as much information as you feel comfortable releasing.

I am only curious to how members have selected User Name. Some user names are very obvious and others are not.
Please participate only if you feel no privacy violation
smile.gif

I'll start! First, let me say that I enjoy the privacy of the forum setting and knowing all of you by your "call sign". I don't necessarily want to meet in public with anyone and get to know the members better than what we all experience here at Bob's.

My User Name is Char Baby. I selected this name as it represents a man of influence to our family in the 1930's & 40's. His name was Charlie. Charlie Baby was what he was know as. Everyone knew Charlie Baby!

If you or your family needed something such as help, advise, money or a job etc., Charlie Baby was who you went to see. Though Charlie Baby knew people, NO Charlie Baby was not he God Father!
smile.gif
Just a good man held in high esteem in our circle.

I use his name in the highest regard and it makes for great conversation in our family when we talk about the past. I only met Charlie Baby once along time ago in the 50's and then he passed away!

I thought maybe your user name had something to do with tanks, since "Char" is the french term for tanks.

Nyati is swahili for Cape Buffalo. Cape Buffalo is one of the "Big Five" - most dangerous game in the world to hunt. The other 4 are rhino, elephant, lion, and leopard. Hippos are right up there too. I've been on 8 African Safari's - nothing is more exciting than getting in among a herd and having to judge the size, age, etc. Typically old "dagga boys" - mud boys that are old and past their breeding prime that have been kicked out of the herds are the most dangerous. They would just as soon kill you as look at you. They average about 1600lbs

DSC01793_zpsd01630d3.jpg

I thought about starting a thread asking this same question for a while, but never did. Anyway, mine is pretty obvious. "-ranger06" is because I own a 2006 Ford Ranger. The "Ex" part is because I also have a Ford Explorer, which was my first car.

I had an Italian Greyhound/Jack Russell Terrier mixed breed dog.

So basically, I had a Jack Russell Terrorist that could run 40mph.

She was a good dog....mostly. She was the "Spazdog" when she wasn't being good. I just liked the nickname and it was the first thing that came to mind when I was thinking of a username.

I picked GatorJoe because I'm a University of Florida grad and I can't get enough of Gator sports. Joe is my first name, so the user name was an easy selection for me.

I like this thread because the origins of some of the name selections here often have me curious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back