How clean is the new oil you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
This was done on a rebuild?

To me that skews the particle count tremendously. Even if you say it was clean the engine had to perform some breaking in on the rings etc.

Not sure if I agree. This is not a full rebuild. It still had the original cams, crank/bearings, connecting rods/bearings, same oil pump, so only thing new was pistons and rings. The engine had already ran for 1700 miles and that oil had been changed. Iron decreased from 24 to 5ppm, Chromium 1 to 0, Aluminum 4 to 1, and Copper 5 to 1. I have tested engine oil in the break-in period in the past and the ppm were much higher on less time. The only sources for the ISO code of 24 is the contaminated bulk oil, the 10% residual oil from the previous oil change, and the new particulates that were generated from the existing contaminants. The filter seemed to take care of the larger particulates. The 4um particles from the residual oil must have been off the scale to cause 90% of the new oil to rise from 21 to 24.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
The UOA was taken from the top 1" of the oil sump using an extractor after operating the engine and reaching 90C. .VOAs was from the quart bottle or from dispenser at the lube service.

How long after the engine was shutdown was the oil extracted from the sump? And was the new bottle of oil shook up prior to sampling?

Within a few minutes. The bottle was shaken, but not the 500g tank at the dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back