How can you remove a tire from a car at a junkyard without powertools?

Most of the cars are up in the air so the wheel would just spin. It's also too hard to hold the tire by hand and simultaneously loosen the lug nuts.

Well, if it is in the rear, does the parking brake still work? I'm not sure you could use the regular brakes as they drain all the fluids before setting the car out in the yard.

Can you reach in and put a metal rod or screw driver into the vents of the brake rotor and have it lodged against the caliper???

If it is a front wheel drive vehicle or even a rear drive with CV axles...it is possible to use a large set of vise grip pliers on the CV shaft and hope it butts against the frame or control arm???

Bring a helper with another L shaped lug wrench. Maybe a can of PB Blaster to squirt on each lug nut too.
Have the helper put his wrench on a lug nut that is 180 degrees opposite of yours. Then both of you apply pressure at the same time but with him trying to tighten while you loosen. Than should be enough to keep the wheel from turning while the lug nuts break free.

Maybe a ratchet strap (or 2) around the circumference of the tire and tied off to something.
1662477830344.png

Last edited:
might find something to jam between the wheel/tire and the inner fender well ...just a thought

A manual impact driver? My 1/2" impact socket set came with one, although I've never used it on lugs. Anyways, for a $1 at a garage sale, maybe pick one up.

The LKQ yard here leaves them on hand tight. I think its there policy everywhere. If you not you could always bring a small ratchet strap, wrap it half way around the tire and around either the diff or suspension - should hold long enough to loosen them with a wrench.

A cordless impact is still a power tool IMHO...

Find a stick, find a hole in the rim, insert stick and brace against suspension component and wherever on your body you are comfortable with. Or, if stronger than most, just hold it...no stick needed.

Bring the longest breaker bar.
You can stand on the breaker bar and start rocking it to make impact and torque.

Do junkyards leave the (rubber) tires on them ? I thought they always removed them.

I never said not to have one...I have two myself. The question was how to remove WITHOUT A POWER TOOL.
If he can’t figure out how to brace the wheel against a suspension part, so that he can apply enough torque with a lug wrench, or breaker bar, then I think a cordless impact is actually a solid recommendation.

Back