How bad were oils in the 1980’s?

Not that bad. I was running 10W40 in my vehicles and never had an engine failure. I used oils on sale like Exxon Superflo, Western Auto private brand as well as Pennzoil and Quaker State. The one I stayed away from was Amoco LDO, because it caused increased oil consumption in my vehicle.

Of course, oils improved over the years, and my engines got full advantage of those improvements.

Back in the 1980s I was riding UJMs with air cooled engines that ran to around 10,000 RPM and shared a common sump with transmission & wet clutch. It's harder on motor oils than most cars. I used regular old off-the-shelf 10w40 which was easier to find back then. Various brands, but all cheap mineral oil, not 'motorcycle specific'. When I rebuilt the '78 CB-550-4 at around 75000 miles, the machine shop said the engine was in excellent shape overall, cylinders had less than 0.001" taper which they said was essentially nothing. The only reason it needed the rebuild was to replace dry hardened seals, gaskets & o-rings, not for any machining.

The oils back then might not work well in modern engines, but they were just fine for the engines in which they were used.

I used to use Gulf oil because I liked their color scheme.

Gulf.jpg

Last edited:
Had to be half way decent for the time. My dealer sold BMW's and Volvo's and there were always BMW's with the hoods up and missing engine parts all around 30K to 35K. I ask about what was with the BMW engine problems. The service writer said nothing wrong with BMW engines it was the owners not changing the oil. Guys were buying their wives BMW's and the wife would show up for the first free oil change to remove the break in oil, and they never saw the car again until it was towed in. You see those first oil changes occured between 600 and 1200 miles. Somewhere between 30,000 and 35,000 miles without another oil change the camshafts would seize. If I remember the dealer was using 10W30 Quaker State bulk oil at the time.

They were pretty good—with tons and tons and tons of ZDDP for API SF and API SF/CC. Back in the 1980s, Toyota recommended a 10,000-mile OCI with conventional oil. Now, it's a 5,000-mile OCI unless it's synthetic oil.

Here is actual wear and fuel-economy data for selected API SF through API SN oils.

Nothing wrong with oils from the 70's & '80's that I can see. I started driving in 1975 and used oils of that era for years I'm still using up oil that I bought in the '90's and '00's and it's working fine in my '94 Ford, '97 Ford, and '16 Nissan. Back sometime in the early-mid '00's I found about 10 cases of Pennzoil YB 20w20 that was probably bottled in the '80's at flea market, I asked what they'd take for it if I'd buy it all. They quoted me a price that came to about $ .65/qt. so I bought it all and used it in the work car I had at the time. I finally retired the car in about 2011-2012 with 518K miles on it and compression readings were still 145-155 PSI across all 4 cylinders.

Back