How awful are these cheap tires?

CKN

Oh, and if you want to know how bad the tires can be. just read the 1-star reviews on Walmart for the Douglas tires. There a few too many cases of catastrophic failure with these tires. I don't think it can be possible to make something safe for so cheap.

Here are the 1 star reviews for your tires

I still think the Tiger PAW is the best tire you will get at a lower price point. Anything cheaper is not going to be as reliable and high performing.

I think the Walmart reviews for ANY ITEM are about as inaccurate and not representative of real world than just about any other site on the Internet. And that speaks volumes......

Reactions: JTK
Thanks everyone for your answers and also for the alternative suggestions. I don't think a 165 is wide enough for a 5" MGB Alloy wheel.

The Douglas does sound like a promising bet-I like them being made in the USA. Some of the higher priced alternatives sound like they're worth the extra, though.

165 is wide enough for my Honda Insights 5.5” rim

And your MG could have come factory with 155sr14 or 165sr14 from the factory
Identical cars sold in Europe had 155SR14 or even 145sr14 but

As time wore on US dealers tended to sell them with 175’s because even in 1980/1981 SR14’s of any size were becoming rare in the US.

Odd how the same car could have come with one of 5 different sizes from the dealer depending on your region and when you bought the car

My 1981 Comutacar came with 125sr13’s and bigger or wider won’t fit, good lord is it hard to get treads for that car

Douglas markets a fine tire. Have had a couple sets. Very boring! Just what you want when you don't want to think about your tires.

The truth of the matter is the Douglas is going to better than the OEM Tires that came on the car and certainly better than a set of tires that were produced before the turn of the century.

EDIT:
23.8" Tire, haven't looked for a tire that short in years.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

Ended up going with the General Altimax RT43.

I figured that it's a popular enough tire for this car that I'm getting something I know will make me happy.

I opted to go 175/70 this time around, and so far I'm enjoying the steering being a bit lighter and the handling a bit more "lively" than I'm use to with 185s(which are all I've ever had on the car). Granted I haven't really driven it much yet since I've had enough other stuff going on. Basically all I've done is the 10 mile trip home from the tire shop and then a test run around the block after I'd spent a bit of time tweaking the carbs(and seemingly curing the run on I'd been dealing with for a few weeks now in the process).

BTW, the tire shop gave me a bit of a tongue lashing saying my lugnuts were "completely wrong" for the wheel and they were afraid to let me drive the car home. I just told the that I'd had them custom made(which is a bit of a stretch but is a special order item) and that they were 100% the correct spec for that particular wheel. I'm not sure what they were basing that on, but they showed me one and someone said "I'm not even sure that's meant to be a lugnut- lugnuts don't have that straight part at the end, they just have a tapered bottom." I guess that person had never seen nuts with shanks.

Did you use the $50 rebate for the RT43s' from GENERAL ? If not , go to generaltire.com and click on OFFERS at top of site . The rebate ends on 4/30 . Keep us up to date with take of the 43s' .

bunnspecial

Did you use the $50 rebate for the RT43s' from GENERAL ? If not , go to generaltire.com and click on OFFERS at top of site . The rebate ends on 4/30 . Keep us up to date with take of the 43s' .

Thanks for reminding me. I saw it listed, and now just need to get it filled out and submitted.

Total installed cost was a bit under $500, which I figure in 2021 isn't bad for a set of tires especially considering that I was at over $1K on the last tires on my Lincoln(245/45R17 IIRC, and the Michelin that replaced the older MXM4).

bunnspecial

Took about a 50 mile drive on them today and I like them.

I did chirp them a few times, but that may also because I've been dealing with run-on and got a tongue lashing from an old time MG mechanic I talk to occasional who had some choice words when I said I was shifting at 3K-3500. He told me I was wasting the cam I paid good money for if I didn't run it up to 4K-4500 before shifting, and I seem to manage some 1st gear chirps about the time I really hit the power band of that cam(which is right where I'd been shifting before).

In any case, though, they both ride and stick better seemingly than the 5 year old Yokohama Avids I still have on another set of wheels. I suspect part of that is because the Yokos are getting some years on them, but they should still have another year or two at least left.

Assuming I can still get them the next time I go tire shopping, I see another set of Generals in my future.

Took about a 50 mile drive on them today and I like them.

I did chirp them a few times, but that may also because I've been dealing with run-on and got a tongue lashing from an old time MG mechanic I talk to occasional who had some choice words when I said I was shifting at 3K-3500. He told me I was wasting the cam I paid good money for if I didn't run it up to 4K-4500 before shifting, and I seem to manage some 1st gear chirps about the time I really hit the power band of that cam(which is right where I'd been shifting before).

In any case, though, they both ride and stick better seemingly than the 5 year old Yokohama Avids I still have on another set of wheels. I suspect part of that is because the Yokos are getting some years on them, but they should still have another year or two at least left.

Assuming I can still get them the next time I go tire shopping, I see another set of Generals in my future.
Yep, that sounds like a decent tire high profile tire for a car like that, as sticking like glue isn't really what that car is about. I don't know if you drive it in the rain but those tires should be fun as well with a gradual break away.

My mother has a set of Douglas tires on her Elantra. I'm actually quite impressed with them-good traction, good in rain, and quiet. Longevity isn't great (I'd figure they're 40-45K tires, tops), but that's no concern for you.