How Are Mazda CX-3's

Small! Since it’s based on the Mazda2 it has virtually no hatch area.

the Mazda3 is about the same size on the outside but roomier inside, and more fun to drive. Both are reliable and easy on gas.

I test drove a Mazda CX3 and it was cramped, loud, firm riding and quick enough.
However, there is absolutely NO storage space, cubby's in the interior. Very cramped for rear passengers and very small hatch area. And I think they're expensive when you start adding options/trim line to the CUV.

So, it depends on how much your friend wants to spend because these CX3's can approach the $30K if not careful.
Even the press says that if you're only going to buy a 2wd CX3(on a Mazda2 chassis), get a Mazda3 Hatch, it's a better vehicle and on its own chassis.

I would avoid. As others are saying, go the sedan route of comparable size or move up to the CX-5. The sedan will get you more cargo space for less money.

I would compare the CX3 to the CX30 and the CX5. See which one fits the needs of your friend the best.

Since the CX30 was introduced it has taken over CX3 sales.

Agree. Mazda 3 sedan / hatch or CX30, the CX5 is a little bigger exterior wise. The CX3 would be easiest to park but after that it has its shortcomings as noted above. I’m thinking CX30 myself, either that or VW Golf, which of course has its own set of issues. Probably go a Mazda, I’ve had 4 with zero problems.

I should have mentioned AWD and used. Like 2016, 2017, 2018 models.

Regarding the CX5, there was a big change in 2017. It really refined the vehicle.

With those limitations the CX30 is out. As others have mentioned the CX3 is on the small side. It is a subcompact after all. Most buyers looking at the CX3 would take note of the lack of room in the back seat plus the small cargo area and those points would lead them to the CX5. That’s why the CX5 is Mazda’s top seller.

When the CX30 was being designed it took those buyer impressions of the CX3 and increased room in both areas. It is now a big seller for Mazda.

It would help to know what they actually want in a vehicle...

They wanted a Ford Escape. But requiring AWD due to extreme snow drifting, and no road plowing in the area they live. We later discovered and confirmed on the internet and locally the 1.5L and 1.6L are gutter trash and the 2.0L is only offered in very high expensive trim packages. Not sure why they did not offer the rugged 2.5L tractor engine that goes to 300k or longer.

-2016 or newer
-AWD
-Needs to be very reliable, no problem childs like bad trannies or bad engines.
-Ford or equivilent (Mazda) preferred
-Must be used, and not to exceed 17K purhcase price. Of course less is preferred.
-No CVT tranny
-4 Cyl that is fuel efficient
-Smaller is preferred as it is a commuter with vans and truck avail in family to borrow.

They must know that Mazda has had nothing to do with Ford for years now.

The CX3 sounds like something that fits the bill. The 2.0 SkyActiv engine gets excellent fuel economy. It has the same 6 speed automatic as the rest of the lineup.

They wanted a Ford Escape. But requiring AWD due to extreme snow drifting, and no road plowing in the area they live. We later discovered and confirmed on the internet and locally the 1.5L and 1.6L are gutter trash and the 2.0L is only offered in very high expensive trim packages. Not sure why they did not offer the rugged 2.5L tractor engine that goes to 300k or longer.

-2016 or newer
-AWD
-Must be used, and not to exceed 17K purhcase price. Of course less is preferred.
-No CVT tranny
-Smaller is preferred as it is a commuter with vans and truck avail in family to borrow.

the pre 2020 ford escape s, base model meets stated criteria, offers the n.a. 2.5 engine. im not necessarily recommending it, just saying... kia sportage lx and pre 2018 chevy equinox might be contenders too.

Since 2015 ish right?

But the sky active engine 2.0L and 2.5L is as close to the ford fusion / escape platform as you can get.....

Since 2015 ish right?

But the sky active engine 2.0L and 2.5L is as close to the ford fusion / escape platform as you can get.....

Yep, since 2015.

When Mazda divorced itself from Ford they had borrowed a massive amount of money from Sumitomo and used that to create a “fresh start” of sorts. That is the SkyActiv Initiative. Everything started over. New engines, transmissions, chassis, body and so forth. The only thing common from the Ford era is the displacement sizes.

Is the new engines from 2016 up rock solid like the 2.5L that ford used from mazda?

They are well proven. I haven’t heard of any issues. They seem to handle fuel dilution very well.

My 17 CX5 with the 2.5 is getting 30.8mpg in mixed suburb/highway driving. I’m very happy with it so far.

-2016 or newer
-AWD
-No CVT tranny
Step-up to a CX-5.

Back