how accurate is oil level reading on car apps?

to me this is a binary statement, which basically means its somewhere between F and L. If they're adding this as a backup sensor for the app not bad. But if theyre doing what BMW is doing with no dipstick, shame on them.
Take away the dipstick. Make is sensor only. Then charge people a subscription fee to access the app. First year free, of course.

I checked it out on YT. The dipstick is front and center so that’s easy to check. I had wondered if it was covered with a plastic shield?

One advantage of the app is that if others are driving the car and you get the alert you can call them about it.

if I was in charge i’d make the sensor the primary checking method. keep a tamper proof locking cap for dealer to insert a special dipstick tool with multiple marks for different engine configurations

My wife's Audi has an oil level sensor. I did add a dipstick when she first bought the car. I like being able to look at the oil.

Take away the dipstick. Make is sensor only. Then charge people a subscription fee to access the app. First year free, of course.
I believe app is free for one year. It has a few convenient features such as door lock/window status, remote lock/unlock and remote start and the vehicle health report with oil sensor info. Not sure if l will pay for a subscription fee or not, so l may be relegated to the dipstick.
My longshot gamble is that my obd scanner will be able to read the oil level, but my hopes are not high. I will hook it up tomorrow and see.

I have an 06 Mercedes E320, no dip stick, but it tells me if how many quarts; takes almost 8 Quarts and if it is over filled it tells me to drain excess oil.

Back