How about your power company

In my part of America here in upstate South Carolina our power company is Duke Power.Yep is is nuclear plant that was built in1970.It was supposed to be a thirty year program with three reactors but when when NRC took each reactor down for inspection they renewed the plant for thirty more years.They have a hydro-electric dam on Lake Hartwell to handle the peak times during high usage during extreme cold and hot weather.Sometimes I see electric bills from from other parts of the country and think "WOW." I just hope the America I grew up in will be here for all our generations to come.

In British Columbia it’s BC Hydro. Ninety Five percent of the power is from Hydro Electric Dams. The nameplate capacity is 11 Gigawatts. Base cost is equivalent to 7 cents US per kWh, rising to 10 cents per kWh US for heavy users. Probably the last dam ever is the Site C Dam on the Peace River, currently badly over budget but then they’ll be maxed for dams. Since the provincial government owns it, it’s run by bureaucrats from other government departments.

Ontario is a bit of a gong show ever since Ontario Hydro (just like BC Hydro that @Snagglefoot mentioned) which was a fully-integrated publicly owned utility was broken up. We participate in a "market" but it's all a sham as >98% of our generation capacity is contracted, so the only thing the market is used for is selling surplus wind power at a massive loss and buying imports.

60% of our electricity comes from 18 nuclear reactors that represent ~13,000MW of capacity
25% of our electricity comes from run-of-river hydro-electric, the largest being Sir Adam Beck II at Niagara Falls

The remainder is a mix of gas, wind, solar and biomass, in order of appearance. We have around 11,000MW of gas capacity, but it is primarily only used for peaking, so its overall contribution is small relative to nameplate.

We rolled-out a smart meter system many years back, but since supply is not an issue, it was a massive waste of money. We are currently all on a flat rate of $0.085/kWh due to "Pandemic Pricing" but will be given the option to go to a fixed-rate $0.125/kWh once this is over, which I'm going to opt for as I'm planning on getting an EV and being able to charge it whenever and run the dryer during the day is quite nice.

I have a local utility for distribution, but it was recently swallowed up by distribution arm of Ontario Hydro that was spun off as Hydro ONE. This is, not surprisingly, the largest distributor in the province and responsible for the vast majority of our transmission infrastructure.

1615915488720.png

Mostly coal with some hydro and wind. Wyoming baby! 5.725 cents per KWH less than 500kw to 12.68 per KW for over 500 KWH. I work for them. The 4 unit 720 MW coal plant is slated for closure in 2027. I hope to be retired and on the beach by then.

Last edited:
Midwest Electric (a Touchstone Cooperative)
rates will go up some time later this year, for the first time since 2010.

Currently:
"Our residential electric rate is $0.0828 per kilowatt hour (kWh) plus the monthly Power Cost Adjustment. Included in your rate is a $35 per month Service Charge to help pay for fixed costs such as the poles, wires, meter, transformer, generating capacity and other items needed to ensure that electric service is available when you need it. The Power Cost Adjustment fluctuates monthly based on our generating fuel cost and our power supply demand cost. The Power Cost Adjustment amount is listed each month near the upper right corner of your electric bill. The total average is typically around $0.10 per kWh plus the $35 service charge.

So let’s combine all that and calculate an example bill. Let’s say you used 1,300 kWh and the current month’s Power Cost Adjustment is $0.015. Here is your total due:

1,300 kWh x $0.0828 = $107.64
+
1,300 kWh x $0.015 = $19.50
+
$35 monthly service charge
= $162.14

Remember, the $35 is included in your bill regardless of how much electricity is used – even if no electricity is used. On a distribution electric system, fixed costs are incurred by the utility regardless of how much electricity a member uses.

We also offer an off-peak rate for members who use electricity as the primary energy source for their home heating needs. This rate is roughly a 10-15% reduction from our standard residential rate. Call for details."

and since it's a Co-op, after so many years (I forget the number off my head) you get an annual "dividend payment" subtracted from your December bill. it usually just covers ours. but hey, Free month of electricity!

Last edited:
Around where I live we have "Silicon Valley Clean Energy" as our "generator" and PG&E as our distribution, we see our bills in 2 separate charges and the distribution typically charges more or near the amount of generation. The way it works is SVCE is our local co-op that buys generation on the open market shooting for 50% renewable or 100% renewable, you still get to choose time of use plan or flat rate, and they promise they will be cheaper or equal to PG&E, and so far it seems to be the case based on the bill.

It is still expensive, we have like 20-26c / kwh here on non TOU plan. TOU plan for my forecast is slightly more so I opt out, which is a "what the heck, why would you even recommend me this". I am usually Tier 1 to slightly into Tier 2 in usage. I am very frugal in electric but I do have electric dryer, using up 1/3 of my kwh total because of that based on my load calculation.

Our kids' generation will be around, sooner or later people will reach an optimal on what they want in their policy and their utilities. IMO it would eventually settle to between Texas and California, somewhere in between. I also hate PG&E but their share holders deserved to lose everything electing their executives to run it like it is, and they deserve to payout so much for their bankruptcy and fires, and the rural communities need to pay up to make the grid reaching them better, so they will not get shut down because of high wind and fire risk. You cannot win them all and not pay for any of these.

I do not believe solar is going to save us until we have ice storage based AC all over commercial buildings. Battery won't save us, heat / cooling storage will.

"Renewables" is not a viable alternative to power produced by water, fossil fuel or nuclear. Solar/Wind/etc can't overcome the cost to make it economically viable.
It most certainly is. Have you read any recent info or still going by 1970 numbers. They are not building any more coal plants because they cost more than solar or wind. And people hate everything about coal. Ask a coal miner what he wants from his kids. He will say run as far and as fast as you can from this place.

Santa Clara and Palo Alto have their own utilities and it’s about 13-14 cents a kWh. PGE has a lot of land to maintain, I can totally see their 25 cent rate. I am amazed it not higher considering all the hills and dales and everything in between they have to take care of. Most of it is old. In Hawaii it was about 36 when I lived there. Same thing a huge old infrastructure to maintain, and it takes skilled techs to do it. They started a coop on Kauai don’t know if it brought the rates down. When it gets to 36 you really start unplugging things.
Stanford has it’s own cogen plant using natural gas. Huge consumer of electricity.
The funny thing I see is no one talks about the emissions aspect when they are using their electric range, but when ev’s are discussed it’s oh my look at that.
As for people moving out of CA whatever makes you happy to believe, good for you. If they are moving out someone is buying houses like mad, must be ghosts. I suppose it is some statistic latched on to.

I've got something to say about my power company : United Power.

We just got done with a two day snowstorm and blizzard that dumped between 15 and 60 inches of heavy, wet snow on the ground. The drifts are much higher.

I live out in the country and couldn't be happier with the company and especially their linemen. We had a couple of flickers on the line, but stayed bright and warm throughout the storm. I think I heard that the biggest outage they experienced was for about 900 homes for a short time.

I believe they have a pretty good handle on infrastructure. :)

Santa Clara and Palo Alto have their own utilities and it’s about 13-14 cents a kWh. PGE has a lot of land to maintain, I can totally see their 25 cent rate. I am amazed it not higher considering all the hills and dales and everything in between they have to take care of. Most of it is old. In Hawaii it was about 36 when I lived there. Same thing a huge old infrastructure to maintain, and it takes skilled techs to do it. They started a coop on Kauai don’t know if it brought the rates down. When it gets to 36 you really start unplugging things.
Stanford has it’s own cogen plant using natural gas. Huge consumer of electricity.
The funny thing I see is no one talks about the emissions aspect when they are using their electric range, but when ev’s are discussed it’s oh my look at that.
As for people moving out of CA whatever makes you happy to believe, good for you. If they are moving out someone is buying houses like mad, must be ghosts. I suppose it is some statistic latched on to.

Many people fail to understand that "infrastructure" has a finite lifespan. Just because you got to use it for free for the last 70 years (because your grand pa paid for it when the place was a green flat land) doesn't mean it will be free for the next 70 years. Sooner or later you need to pay to rebuild or repair them. This goes for anything that is road or power or water or sewage.

You can say look, a green flat land in the middle of Texas got to do it for cheap why can't we, why do we have to pay, but you cannot compare it that way, unless you want to just abandon the place and move everything to a new green flat land in the middle of somewhere else.

Its windy here. Despite the wind, ice/snow. Losing power is has rare event. Not rare enough though, so last yr I splurged on a 6.5 kw gen-set. Wind power is random by nature. But that being said, just how intermittent is the wind
off Nantucket where a wind farm is proposed?

Back