House vacuum cleaner recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vacuum just died, looking to buy a new one and spend no more than 120. Any recommendations? I need it to clean well (duh!) and don't care about noise, self propel, etc.

[ November 06, 2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Jonny Z ]

Get one that sucks dirt into the bag instead of pushing it into the bag.... this is called a clean motor design. It'll last longer. I once lucked out buying a vacuum online that was a factory rebuilt.... saved about $60 over store price.

A couple of years I remember such a discussion at work, where I was evidently a lone holdout for cannister with a bag, everyone else opting for bagless uprights. I like being able to vacuum under things, like beds, short tables and such, which you can't do with most uprights unless you hook up a hose of some sort. The main reason is that considering what you're concentrating; dirt, skin, dried up nose buggers, dog hair, dust mites, dried pulverized doo doo, spider eggs, week old pulverized bits of chunky turkey dog food, etc., do you really want to create a cloud of the stuff and breathe it in when you dump it ? I prefer that it stays in the bag when I dump it.

SWEET. I will give Wally World a browse.

I bought the old vac 3.25 years ago, when I moved into the apt. It was a Dirt Devil Feather Lite. I have just purchased and moved into a house and last night I was using the vac to clean up the apt so I can turn in the key. At the end it started going in and out and I see some blue arcing in the unit, and it died. It just had finished the last area of the apt. Weird huh, I first used it there, and it finished its very last run and it died.

RIP feather lite
frown.gif

I found one on Ebay, a Hoover Windtunnel Plus. its a Bagged version. I'm not too fond of bagless yet... they have lots of problems unless you buy a Dyson.

wouldn't give a plugged nickle for a dyson, the thing can't stay together, is horribly assembled and is impossible to keep from leaking (in which case it blows fine dust all over the place).

Neighbors had one, sold it in a garage sale, less than a few months old.

Rainbow. New ones are pricey, but rebuilts can be had for a reasonable price. This is one of the water tank designs. It is, in essence, the concept of a "bong" grown up and put to productive use. There's no bag, just a tank you fill with water before each use. The hose is routed into the tank, where the vast majority of the stuff picked up gets "blast mixed into the swirling water. A small amount of very fine dust that makes it through the water gets trapped in a little filter that needs to be replaced every year or so. Very effective.

I have a dirt devil. IT SUCKS !

can't believe I was the first to say that.

Dirt devil platinum force 12 amp. Surely obsolete by now. I got it on sale at sears, $150. I prefer the bagless type. Mine has a hepa filter in a canister. The filter is rinsable with the hose and reusable, much like the filter in a wet/dry vacuum cleaner. Only downside is it's a heavy vacuum. Had this vacuum for 4 years I think, it's all plastic but it's held up well, no problems.

equivalent of what I got, only $99
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02034830000

I would go to ebay and get a used kirby if you like uprights, a Rainbow or Electrolux of you like canisters. I have an old Kirby Heritage 1 and works very well. Only problem was self-inflicted when I trashed the fan and the brush wore out after almost 10 years of use. Runs very quiet and suction is second to none. Heavy though. But it will be the last vac you ever have to buy and you can get used for the same $$$ as Wal-Mart Chinese junk.

We bought one of the Dirt Devil "Lift-Off" Bagless models almost two years ago. Still going strong; easy to clean, assemble/de-assemble; and the "cannister/vaccum motor" part comes off of the main unit for easy toting around the pad. Thumbs-up.

I've been very happy with my Kenmore canister.. it was a vast improvement over the eureka bagless I had before.. I paid about $200 for it. I used to sell Kirbys in another life... awesome vacuums, very expensive though.

"I think the best vacuum is the one you use...."

close, but no cigar.

the best one is one someone else uses for you.
wink.gif

actually our best was a built-in we had in a previous house. You could vaccuum in the baby's room while he slept. strongest suction ever. Bagless outside cannister. Have wanted many times to install one in present house. Not a difficult DYI project.

I think the power tool effect prevails. If I use it, it is silent. If someone else uses, don't ask
smile.gif

Another option is Nilfisk. At first may look they're offering only industrial grade but they have things suitable for houses. My parents had bought one in '73, it quit in '97. That thing is still in production with slight changes, so I can still repair it. Definitely not the most quiet one, but the most rugged thing I could think of. It is what the textile industry prefers, many accesories to clean well that you don't have to buy all. Specs are detailed including the dB rates so you know what you buy. This particular thing below is a real retro, neigbours will throw stares at it
wink.gif

http://www.pa.nilfisk-advance.com/product_lines/cleanrooms_compatible/products/n_gm80.html

Miele would be out of price range, but they have one with accesories to clean keyboard and electronics. Could be preferable by a neat trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back