Hot Rod Magazine article on diesel oil use in gasoline engines

I used Chevron Delo 400 15w40 in my '99 Honda Magna VF750C. Mainly because I didn't ride when it was below freezing, and the narrow viscosity spread suggests a more shear stable oil, which seemed important when the engine oil is also lubricating the transmission & wet clutch. ZDDP levels did not factor into my choice. Also, that engine said not to use "energy conserving" oils, and oils heavier than 30 weight aren't subject to the API energy conserving requirements.

Diesel oils, specifically Shell Rotella T 15w40, was used by us owners of flat tappet performance cammed V8s after zinc was reduced from about 1200 to 800 ppm to protect catalytic converters. I've run it in my old Vette and 4-4-4 original engines.
Today we are lucky to have oils formulated for these engines. HDEO oils are not the best choice. For stock cammed engines, a nice 10w30 oil will work just fine. And you do not need to play chemist with ZDDP additives. For higher valve spring pressures, I like the new Castrol stuff.

The article is reasonably well written. I like that he's advocating for first defining the application, then finding a lube that meets the needs of that application, and he's not brand specific. Overall good advice.
I'll agree to a point... although I'd think that especially you would have some additional input- with looking at macro trends of gasoline engines using HDEO I would hazard a guess that there's no statistically different results in the same engine family using a singly-rated HDEO vs PCMO; also, what about the HDEOs that also carry gasoline specs? Heck, at a bare minimum, Rotella T6 and several Delo product families even specify they are suitable for gasoline fleets OR OTR-level diesel engines.

Interesting read, but on the hundred sport bike forums I'm on about a million people are using diesel 15w40 running these engines above 10,000 rpm all day and no one is lossing engines because of foaming oil. I look at my oil through the sight glass and have never seen foam. But hey, what do I know?

Interesting article. I’ve always known about less anti foam additives in diesel oils but didn’t know about different types of ZDDP for gas or diesel applications. I used Valvoline VR-1 in my hi-po big block Chevelle to the disagreement of friends using diesel oils. Mainly because of anti-foam additives. Pull the dipstick in an engine that’s just run the drag strip and you’ll see how well those additives are or aren’t working.

Interesting read, but on the hundred sport bike forums I'm on about a million people are using diesel 15w40 running these engines above 10,000 rpm all day and no one is lossing engines because of foaming oil. I look at my oil through the sight glass and have never seen foam. But hey, what do I know?
The only time i see foaming in my bike with HDEO is when i pour fresh virgin oil in it and let it run for a short while. After that i see no foaming through the sight glass.

I`ve ran HDEO in all of my past and current cars/bikes for like 3-4 years now. All different brands and model years of cars. Never really had any issue. Current cars i have same HDEO in, Volvo S60 and Taurus SHO.

Yes, that 2 inch stroke at 10k RPM ought to froth any oil! I reckon the windage created by 8 4.250 pistons with a 4 inch stroke at 6k might have more of a frothing problem. Who knows. That HDEO has definitely been proven. I still like my VR-1.

ZDDP is bad for timing chains?

This study indicates wear occurs on timing chains coated with vanadium carbide, with the study aimed at the T-GDI engines. It says not all coatings respond the same way.

Are all timing chains coated?

I don't have a Jeep, zinc is good for cams, not for chains.
And short of dry chains, how exactly do you propose to replace the ZDDP in an engine oil? It is still by far the best sacrificial coating known for ICE sliding and rotating surfaces. A timing chain is just one small piece in the big scope of an engine; it seems a fool’s errand to change an entire formulation for the worse in order to save 0.2% chain elongation under test conditions.

Also, do you know how many/if any current engines use vanadium coated pins? Without that info any argument about this is moot because there’s no sense of scale; this may only affect one manufacturer or even just one engine family.

Back