Horn relay location 93 Aerostar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The horn in my 93 Aerostar is not working. Fuse is good, horn is a real PIA to get to, and I'd like to check the relay. Problem is I don't have the shop manual so I'm SOL. Any idea where the horn relay might be? Searched the Ford Forum, someone already asked and got no reply. Thought I'd check with my BITOG buddies!

TIA
Frank D

Well on the Ford forum I stumbled upon a part called a clock spring? Any idea how involved replacing it would be? My air bag light if flashing and that seems to be tied into the horn not working.

How big a deal is it? I figure if I disconnect the battery for half an hour I won't have to worry about getting popped with the airbag. How tough a job is it? I have a wheel puller too.

Not too much of a problem.

You have to remove the airbag, steering wheel, collar trim, and the lower dash trim under the steering column (if equipped). I can't remember if you have to pull the lock cylinder or not to get off the passenger side of the trim, either way it's only 30 seconds of work to pull the cylinder. The tilt lever has evil loctite on it, so a pair of thin vicegrips work to loosen that(if you need to). A black magic marker covers up the scrapes on the black paint on the lever's base when you are done.

3 screws hold the clock spring in place. The airbag connectors all have internal grounds, so you don't have to worry about a random deployment.

Make sure your steering wheel is fairly centered before you remove the steering wheel, and don't remove the plastic "holder" from the center of the new clock spring until you are ready to install it. One connection to horn, one to airbag, one to cruise control (if switches on the wheel) and two connectors under the dash.

Thanks for the information. I have a standard wheel puller, is it safe to guess once the air bag is off pulling the wheel is like pulling any other steering wheel? This will be my first clock spring job. When I tackle a job for the first time, that could be a little involved , I gather as much info as I can then do it in my mind a few times. It's worked in the past, hopefully it will work again!

I'll have to read up on the lock cyl too. In 35+ years of fooling with cars I'm embarassed to say I've never had to take one apart.

Edit to add: Good tip on the steering wheel. I was going to make some kind of ref mark with a marker so hopefully it goes back on in the same exact place. That's if this wheel is like the old fashioned wheels I've pulled in the past. The last wheel I pulled was from an 85 E-150.

Last edited:
Once the airbag is clear, the steering wheel pulls like any other. Lock cylinder, turn it to the "run" or "on" position, press in the little button on the bottom of it with a pick/ballpoint pen/pocket screwdriver, and pull the whole cylinder out, like I said about a 15 second job.

EDIT: There is a hole in the bottom of the column shroud just below the steering wheel, under the cylinder, to insert a pick into to push the button in.

I think the steering wheel and column shaft already have a mark on them for alignment. The clockspring ships centered, and I like to have the wheel centered as well when I put it on, just a habit.

It really is a straightforward job.

Last edited:
Thanks punisher, the picture is becoming more clear! For a mechanically inclined person doing this job for the first time, how long do you think it would take? BTW I do work a little slow in the summer heat, and might stop for a beer break.
cheers3.gif

Not to bad then, thanks! I ordered the part, I should have it later in the week.

Thanks for the help!

Frank D

Well the clock spring job is done. I'd call it a mild PIA job. Biggest problem was waiting for the hardware store to open to get the right size bolts for the wheel puller. That and getting the lock cyl back in was a PIA. Hopefully this one lasts another 173,000 miles. Thanks for the replies!

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back