2011 Silverado Horn Relay Location

Hey BITOG!

The horn on my truck just stopped working all of a sudden. It won't work with either the driver wheel, nor the keyless entry (so not the switch). The fuse is good, and I get 12V to the fuse. I can't find the stupid relay. I look online and get a whole mixed bag of responses. Some say it is in the under hood fuse box like a normal relay and is serviceable. Some say it is built into the PCB on the fuse box, and I would have to replace the entire box. Anybody here know the truth?
Yes, I have checked both online schematics as well as the under hood diagram.

There are some non-replaceable relays inside the under hood fuse box by the drivers side fender including the headlight relay and possibly your horn relay (not sure). The box can be pulled straight up and out. The new box comes from GM with ALL the relays and is a few hundred dollars unfortunately. Here is one from a 2011 Silverado like yours. The one shown still in the truck is a 2008 Suburban but it similar. The unit has two handles to give it a mighty pull upward. Notice how many pins it has on the bottom. The green wire was a home fix to use an external headlight relay until things got quirky and I replaced the entire unit. If you check the web there might be some hints on how to poor boy an external horn relay. Good luck.

02DF739F-C9F2-4C11-99A4-F944796B0F4A.jpeg
C157ACD6-7AD5-4896-B400-3AFBB326CFB2.jpeg
F2A92A21-7405-43E0-99DA-C5E0A16DE580.jpeg
C4E7D9E8-8FAF-4B5D-BED4-6D7531675042.jpeg

Last edited:
There are some non-replaceable relays inside the under hood fuse box by the drivers side fender including the headlight relay and possibly your horn relay (not sure). The box can be pulled straight up and out. The new box comes from GM with ALL the relays and is a few hundred dollars unfortunately. Here is one from a 2011 Silverado like yours. The one shown still in the truck is a 2008 Suburban but it similar. The unit has two handles to give it a mighty pull upward. Notice how many pins it has on the bottom. The green wire was a home fix to use an external headlight relay until things got quirky and I replaced the entire unit. If you check the web there might be some hints on how to poor boy an external horn relay. Good luck.

View attachment 47070View attachment 47071View attachment 47072View attachment 47073

Yes, thank you. I have pulled the entire thing before, as I was having some weird electrical issues. I took it to my kitchen table, cleaned every contact, pulled every fuse and relay, cleaned them all and re-assembled with di-electric grease. My bride even sat beside me and helped ;-). She (the truck, not my bride) has been trouble free until this horn thing popped up. I just could not believe they would build a horn relay into the board. What a STUPID STUPID STUPID idea...

Back