Horizontally mounted ADV filter and bypass filter without ADV

Okay title just about sums it up. I'm swapping a diesel engine into my old Toyota pickup and will be running a remote derale oil filter conversion. I bought my filters before realizing how hard it would be to package the setup as the bypass filter is MASSIVE. The best location is horizontal on a frame rail, but I'm worried about drain back from the bypass filter. I have a Baldwin B7379 which has an anti drain back valve, and a BF7587 which doesn't. Can you guys enlighten me about how risky it'd be to mount this setup horizontally? My only other option is to hack a hole where my windshield washer reservoir sat just behind the driver side headlights. Obviously I'd need to fab up a box to protect the filters from road debris in either location, but I'd prefer not to cut up the truck any more.
Thanks!

1000000268.jpg

Last edited:
Beyond the stresses on the filter housing, I do not see any issue with mounting it that way. I would find a spot further down the frame to mount them personally as I am sure there is a spot. Wrap the oil hoses with loom, and tape them every so often for protection, thats all I got.

Beyond the stresses on the filter housing, I do not see any issue with mounting it that way. I would find a spot further down the frame to mount them personally as I am sure there is a spot. Wrap the oil hoses with loom, and tape them every so often for protection, thats all I got.
Thanks for the input. There's a perfect spot on the frame rail just behind the cab. I have some braided stainless lines going to the dual filter setup so should be pretty beefy. I suppose I could thread them through some heat shield but that seems overkill as long as they're not chafing.

Thanks for the input. There's a perfect spot on the frame rail just behind the cab. I have some braided stainless lines going to the dual filter setup so should be pretty beefy. I suppose I could thread them through some heat shield but that seems overkill as long as they're not chafing.
You cannot protect the lines enough. It touching a heat shield, I would cover with silicone hose of the appropriate ID.

Of course you will want to go the least reasonable distance away for mounting, for oil pressure purposes. Good luck, a pic with the finisih product would be nice. I have thought about doing this same thing to my suburban, but did not.

You cannot protect the lines enough. It touching a heat shield, I would cover with silicone hose of the appropriate ID.

Of course you will want to go the least reasonable distance away for mounting, for oil pressure purposes. Good luck, a pic with the finisih product would be nice. I have thought about doing this same thing to my suburban, but did not.
Thanks! The silicone hose is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely post some pictures.
Should be wrapping it up this weekend. The main reason for the conversion is the stock Mercedes oil filter housing would have been smooshed into the firewall, but a side benefit is the Cummins turbo I'm using requires 2 micron filtration and the old turbo was happy with 10. These engines are extremely dirty, so I'm interested to see how the oil looks after 3000 miles, especially with the EGR deleted. I'm also using a mechanical thermostat to bypass the oil cooler when cold so I'll post up my impressions of that compared to stock as well.

An ADBV on a bypass filter really won't matter (probably why Baldwin didn't add one) because it's a secondary small parallel flow volume of oil, not the main oil volume going to the engine like the main filter in the system.

Back