New remote dual system for 5.4 Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Expedition with a 5.4. Some long towing trips coming up this summer in the northeast.
I've already switched to 5w-30 synthetic over the spec 5w-20.

I'd like to add a remote filter setup to add oil volume and maybe better filtration. Plus having some cooling.

I have parts selected using a Derale / Perma-cool type dual filter mount.

My question is regarding flow and line size and filters.

Derale makes a 22Mx1.5 remote filter adapter with -10AN O-ring ports.
The remote filter mount has 1/2" NPT ports.
If I just go with -10AN hose, It has an ID of .56"

However, If I go with -12AN Hose and fittings, the ID is .69"

The ID for the 1/2" NPT fittings at the filter mount is .622" (assuming schedule 40)

Hamburger makes a remote filter adapter that will fit my engine that has -12AN O-ring fittings.

The remote filter mount will be about 2-2.5ft from the original filter.

So, will pressure drop between the -12 and -10 hose/fittings be enough to warrant using -12?

Now filters... Of course the filters.
I'm using an FL820S on the engine now.
The mount is 3/4-16 thread, so I've been looking at PH8A types.
So my list is...
Fram XG8A
Baldwin BT251 (23 micron)
Baldwin B7311-MPG (5 micron)
Baldwin B2 (9.8 micron)
was considering the Wix 51515XP as well.

The BT251/B7311-MPG are really big filters (7-1/8" long) and. So I'm leaning towards those. But can't see a difference. (now wrong)
Although I've always read (here) that the Fram Ultra is a great filter. If Fram makes a compatible filter as big as the big Baldwins, I'd consider that as well.

Aside from ByPass PSI and anti drainback, I can't find details on micron ratings. But a small micron/more restrictive filter shouldn't matter since there will be 2 in parallel.

What's your recommendation for a really big PH8A equivalent. Needs to have an Anti-Drainback Valve.

Thanks, all.

EDIT Google was my friend. Looks like the B7311-MPG is a much more efficient filter from what I could find. So The BT251 is out.

Last edited:
Of course with a thread adapter, I could use Baldwin BD7317s
And they're $2 cheaper than the B7311-MPGs

Last edited:
PFFFFFttttttt...... -08 hose is PERFECTLY fine.

My 302/5.0 liter swap in my Ranger has had -08 oil lines for 18 years and 240,000 miles

-10 hose is OK but a little overkill.

-12 hose is simply utterly ridiculous. This isn't as Pratt & Whitney R-1340 you adding dual remote filters onto.

Originally Posted by JimmyM

What's your recommendation for a really big PH8A equivalent. Needs to have an Anti-Drainback Valve.

Just stop thinking about this already. Dual XG8's will be good for 80,000 miles.

Even dual Fram XG16's will be good for 50,000 miles (EASILY!!!!) before needing to be changed.

That is a whole lot of thought going into cooling and cleaning oil for towing if its a Triton 5.4 it should hold 7 quarts of oil already.. i would think that transmission, brakes and tires would be more crucial in towing.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
That is a whole lot of thought going into cooling and cleaning oil for towing if its a Triton 5.4 it should hold 7 quarts of oil already.. i would think that transmission, brakes and tires would be more crucial in towing.

True.

I have a friend with a 5.4 Triton in a E350 (cutaway "van front") 16-foot long box truck filled with construction tools.

I don't think the E350/E450 had "3V" 5.4 (I'm really not sure - I think all E series 5.4 were "2V"?) but he says he just uses Walmart ST2 filters and has 237,000 miles on that truck.

Wouldn't you want one filter with very small micron rating, and one the will flow normally? In which case, I would chose the XG8A and the 5 micron Baldwin for the two filters. I had the 3V 5.4 in my 09 F 150 and it's got good low end torque, but runs out of steam at high revs. Hold it at 3000rpm and it will haul a lot of weight around. Towed our trailer all over the Rockies for years without issue. I ran castrol 0w40 in mine summer and winter and the engine had zero issues when I sold it at 120k miles.

If it were me (and it was) I would use a fram ultra and the castrol 0w40 and forget the remote setup. Get a single remote setup and add it inline with the transmission cooler to keep the 6R80 transmission happy. The 5.4 has no cooling issues and maintains oil temperature even when maxed out towing (mine was rated for 10400 lbs).

My 2016 is also a max tow truck with the 3,5 eco. It gets 0w40 as well.

Last edited:
Motorcraft FL-299 is same as a FL1-A but bigger. If you need or want a filter bigger than the FL1-A or PH8A/XG8A

Yup. Total Overkill. I get it. I'm not suggesting it NEEDS it. I just want it for marginal improvement. Gotcha about the -10. Even I thought -12AN might be unnecessary.
The trans had the fluid changed last year. Was actually thinking about a filter. I monitor the trans temps on the road and it never went over 204F.
Brakes are Hawk LTS and tires are new. I run 35 in the front and 45 in the rears. Feels great on the road.
I'll look at the XG16.
Edit: XG16 is smaller than the XG8A. Why bother.

Last edited:
Nice, but completely unnecessary. I did two 10k mile runs of Mobil 5000 on one XG2 and my UOA came back great after the second run. (Navigator Triton 5.4)

Best thing I did for my engine was an oil cooler.

If you really want to make that kit worth your while, run the 7317. At least you'll have some bypass filtration going on.

If your going through the effort of a remote filter setup, why not get a dual bypass filter setup ? I know Amsoil carries one ( I have it on my Suburban ) . 90% oil goes through the full flow filter, and 10% goes through the bypass filter, with 98% efficiency at 2 microns.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...dual-remote-bypass-system/?code=BMK23-EA

I imagine that other manufacturers have similar systems.

You totally missed the point I was trying to make.

Originally Posted by Linctex

You totally missed the point I was trying to make.

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like a jerk.

I think I will go with the 7317.
Now, with probably North of 10 quarts of oil. be It would be wise to start doing oil analysis.
Someone mentioned filtering for the transmission. Now THAT'S got me thinking.
I mean why not? While I'm under there. It's basically an F150 under the hood. Right?

IMHO for towing you want flow to the bearings. Taking away flow to the bearings isn't going to make things better. Maybe a bypass filter with a small orifice that sub micron cleans your oil is ok, but not 1/2 in diam hoses. I think you already are set up fine with your OE oil filter.

Flow to the bearings is dependent on a good oil pump to supply the oil flow, and how much oil the bearings actually flow is dependent on their clearance, engine RPM (don't lug it), viscosity of oil that is used and what the supply oil pressure is at the inlet to the bearings. Lots of discussions about journal bearings has gone on in other forums here on BITOG.

Flow is indicated by the oil pressure gauge (as long as the bearing clearances are correct).
Poor flow usually also means less pressure (as long as the bearing clearances are correct).

I have 70 psi going down the highway and 30 at hot idle. I'm not concerned at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back