Honest opinions on Bosch oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some questions (and I'm NOT trying to dump on Bosch):

1) Who makes their oil filters? (I have some thoughts and have seen some posted info.)

2) I have read some opinions here and it's been mostly positive, but frankly the last ones I had were quite cr@ppily constructed. One had a metal thread shaving in the center bore - NEW. Can I solicit feedback? - Good or bad.

Thanks - this site just keeps getting better in 2003
grin.gif

Pablo, Bosch is a Champion Labs filter similar to the Supertech and STP, with a semi-synthetic media that filters down to 15 Microns(don't know efficiency ratings.) I mentioned in another post that I experienced some tapping/buzzing from my engine when I ran a Bosch. After switching back to the Motorcraft FL820S, the noise went away. I suspect that the Bosch does not flow as well as the Motorcraft. After taking the used Bosch apart, I was disappointed. The filter media area is noticebaly smaller than the Motorcraft. The anti-drainback valve was stuck open. Even though the filter is mounted vertically, I think that the valve should have sprung back to being closed after the engine shut off. Some glue that was used to secure the paper media to the end cap had run over the face of the media. The filter was only on the engine for about 1000 miles, and the media looked similar to the Honda OEM Filtech that I had cut open, and had a "fuzzy" appearance. After comparing both used cut open filters, I am going to stick with the Motorcraft. -Joe

[ January 01, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

If you look at the Bosch site you'll see they make two kinds of filters: the premium made by Champion and a lesser quality type.....dunno who makes those..maybe you ran into those???
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think ALL Bosch filters are made by Champion.

i use bosch, i like them..its way better than fram and just under mobil 1. in a week im going to open mine up and see what i caught...then im going to open my other fram and see the differnce.....but really im sticking to bosch now...i think the filterating rate is 98 percent first pass and then 91 percent multipass..mobil 1 is 98 percent first pass and 93 percent multi pass...it uses syntetic media inside as well...i like it, my car is a little quieter. BOSCH PREMIUM FILTER is the one i use...$5.99

Yes I think you guys have the essence of my thinking - there are AT least two manufacturers of Bosch oil filters for the array of cars in the USA/Canada.

My example, as usual, is the Volvo OEM Mann 917,( Amsoil SDF-42) - ie a short FL-1A....the version of the Bosch for the Volvo 1962-1999 filter was just NOT made by Champion. I could tell by the construction. But I'm not sure who made it - itsa cheapie - I'd take a Supertech any day.

So maybe my point is: If the Bosch version for your car is a good one, by all means indulge. But keep shopping if itsa cheapie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back