Can you be a little more specific?

click on his "crv" link

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Can you be a little more specific?

click on his "crv" link

Thanks. I missed it completely.
smile.gif

What do you think is going to happen you will have a 1.5L engine making 190 HP on 87 octane gasoline?
The real issue is America being addicted to 87 octane fuel in this vehicle segment.
Honda had to give this engine a crap tune due to our addiction to 87 octane.
Ford, GM And Fiat Chysler wanna kill off 87 octane fuel.
Honda shouldn't have came out with the 1.5L CRV if it cant handle 87 octane fuel.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The real issue is America being addicted to 87 octane fuel in this vehicle segment.

Or is the real issue the unrealistic fuel economy standards manufacturers have to meet without significant changes to infrastructure (gasoline grade at the right price, electrical charging systems, hydrogen), that they have no hope of getting support on ?

Wonder if this "fix" will be applied to the recent Civics too, since they use similar engines (and in the case of the 1.5L I believe it's exactly the same L engine). If the fix is for the engine and not the car, I don't see why they wouldn't address the same problem if it occurs in the same engine in another car. Just like the CR-V owners, Civic owners are reporting the dipstick oil level rising dramatically.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The real issue is TGDI
mad.gif

They should just go back to the R18
smile.gif

A 1.8L in a CR-V? Even the 2.4L was a slug, couldn't imagine driving one with a 1.8L

By the way:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-fuel-dilution-problems-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

It was a mistake for them to ignore it as long as they did. Did they think they wouldn't have to address it here? When they already admitted it was a problem in China? The optics of that look horrendous.

I'm surprised there isn't already a law that forces manufacturers to issue a recall globally, if they do it in one region and the recall applies to the same product sold elsewhere. What's the logic for doing a fix in China but not in the U.S.? It's not a problem in one area but it is in the other?

Originally Posted by Nick1994

A 1.8L in a CR-V? Even the 2.4L was a slug, couldn't imagine driving one with a 1.8L

The 2019 RAV4 will have 2.5L 200hp+(tbd) base engine and 8-speed transmission. Honda should be able to do close to that power level on a standard 2.4L non-boosted engine.

No test drive info out yet, but I think the RAV4 should not feel sluggish.
Embargo lifts Nov 20
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/2019-toyota-rav4-get-early-taste-embargo-lifted/

As an aside, the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid will have the equivalent of 219 hp.
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/europes-2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid-debuts-paris-219-horses/

Tons of TGDI on the road from other brands that recommend 87 octane without drama.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe

It was a mistake for them to ignore it as long as they did. Did they think they wouldn't have to address it here? When they already admitted it was a problem in China? The optics of that look horrendous.

Honda got away with one problem in the past so they want to try if they can get away with another one. That one past problem is the J37 series engine (2010-2014) excessive oil consumption. They pretty much swept the problem under the rug.

Tons of TGDI on the road from other brands that recommend 87 octane without drama.

The Honda makes a little more HP per liter on 87 octane vs many other competitors. The Fusion 1.5L makes 181 HP while the Malibu's 1.5 makes 163 HP.
Honda pushed the envelope on the 1.5 used in the CRV. The 1.5L 180 HP engine used in the 2018 Civic Sport recommends 91 octane premium gasoline.
Why does the higher output 1.5 in the CRV recommend 87 octane?

Originally Posted by skyactiv

The Honda makes a little more HP per liter on 87 octane vs many other competitors. The Fusion 1.5L makes 181 HP while the Malibu's 1.5 makes 163 HP.
Honda pushed the envelope on the 1.5 used in the CRV. The 1.5L 180 HP engine used in the 2018 Civic Sport recommends 91 octane premium gasoline.
Why does the higher output 1.5 in the CRV recommend 87 octane?

Ok, and where is the problem exactly with 87 octane?

Last time I checked, we have higher octanes that Honda could've specified for the CR-V. It's their problem they didn't and passed an inferior product to the customers.

A lot of focus on octane in here - which to be blunt, has what exactly to do with the problem these cars are having?

Appears to be much more of a miss on cold weather testing - the bulk of the problems are being reported in cold weather states, and the "recall" used in China noted problems with units operated at temps that were regularly under -4 F and short tripped.

I get that some of you have issues with DI, and even more with TGDI engines. And others have even more issues with the fact that 87 is recommended or allowed with the use of many of these. Yet the use of 87 octane here does not appear to be the issue, so we are making a big deal about it because???

Originally Posted by MNgopher
A lot of focus on octane in here - which to be blunt, has what exactly to do with the problem these cars are having?

The way I understand it, the DI needs to dump more fuel in the engine with 87 octane to prevent detonation and cool the engine vs a 91 octane fuel. These newer engines run super high compression ratios vs earlier designs - in the 13:1 + range. Too much fuel means some is unburned leading to washed down cylinders and rising oil levels.
I could be wrong

Danno, compression ratio is 10.3:1 on the 1.5T, that's not the problem. Probably just ring twist and shape are bugging them.
There is a class action lawsuit that will force the issue. Owners should be covered by that once it finishes in the court, so easy to prove here.
It's recalled in China due to social media on the internet clamoring for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back