Honda’s CRV Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the dope, when my 1.5T goes up a half qt. I whip out the OilBoy and siphon off one qt. hot oil and then replace the half qt.with fresh 0/40 Edge....did that three times last winter...not needed in summer.
and we get serious winter temps here...oil stays fresher and avoids running over full which is another can of worms on top of dilution. Along with TCW-3 I
expect no oil related problems, ever. Actually fond of the engine, quite the little worker, runs perfect.

Originally Posted by dblshock
Here's the dope, when my 1.5T goes up a half qt. I whip out the OilBoy and siphon off one qt. hot oil and then replace the half qt.with fresh 0/40 Edge....did that three times last winter...not needed in summer. and we get serious winter temps here...oil stays fresher and avoids running over full which is another can of worms on top of dilution. Along with TCW-3 I
expect no oil related problems, ever. Actually fond of the engine, quite the little worker, runs perfect.
Three times in the winter doesn't sound too bad. You're getting fresh additives in there, with 0w40 viscosity to counteract the fuel. Smart approach, using a siphon.

My '18 Chevy Equinox 1.5T shows no signs so far of fuel dilution. Wonder if Honda is comparing their fuel injector spray pattern & ring design with GM's to see what the differences are. Love to know that.
About the same compression ratio in the LYX GM 1.5T as in the Honda one.

Other makers have had a difficult time owning up to a problem, only be dragged kicking & screaming into the light by the NHTSA and/or lawyers and/or web social media pressure. Ford comes to mind.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
This isnt just a 1.5 problem. This also effects the 2.4 starting in 2015, when they when to DI.

but it's much more severe when there's a turbo

This isnt just a 1.5 problem. This also effects the 2.4 starting in 2015, when they when to DI.

umm, DI along with CVT came to the Accord with the Gen 9 in 2013.
Both implementations appear to have been totally transparent with no issues.
Accord buyers have gotten older over the years, as have I, but are typically a well-informed bunch who subscribe to CR and have owned Hondas in the past.
My latest Accord has neither a turbo nor DI.
If there really are problems with this turbo DI CRV engine, Honda will make It right.
The CRV is one of the most profitable models wearing the brand badge, more so than the Accord, so Honda has good reason to correct any problems if any actually exist.
Meanwhile, I can smile and tell CRV owners "Told ya. You shoulda bought a Forester" LOL!

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
By the way:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-fuel-dilution-problems-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

It was a mistake for them to ignore it as long as they did. Did they think they wouldn't have to address it here? When they already admitted it was a problem in China? The optics of that look horrendous.

I'm surprised there isn't already a law that forces manufacturers to issue a recall globally, if they do it in one region and the recall applies to the same product sold elsewhere. What's the logic for doing a fix in China but not in the U.S.? It's not a problem in one area but it is in the other?

Engine manufacturing, numerous other parts and assembly of the Chinese models were Chinese done in China. Problems there could be related to those parts suppliers, different engines, different assembly lines/personnel, etc. too many unknowns and variables to make a comparison with the US produced models.

That Consumer Reports story is insane! People are reporting more problems with a brand new CR-V than I've had with all my cars combined in 20+ years of driving.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

umm, DI along with CVT came to the Accord with the Gen 9 in 2013.
Both implementations appear to have been totally transparent with no issues.
Accord buyers have gotten older over the years, as have I, but are typically a well-informed bunch who subscribe to CR and have owned Hondas in the past.
My latest Accord has neither a turbo nor DI.
If there really are problems with this turbo DI CRV engine, Honda will make It right.
The CRV is one of the most profitable models wearing the brand badge, more so than the Accord, so Honda has good reason to correct any problems if any actually exist.
Meanwhile, I can smile and tell CRV owners "Told ya. You shoulda bought a Forester" LOL!

Others on the board have also reported the same issues with the 2015 2.4. I have never heard of problems with the Accord, but have heard them with the CRV. So far its spent more time in the shop versus both of VWs combined.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

If any actually exist?
Internet noise often amplifies issues but im not sure this is one of those instances.

Honda has been pressured now and they will get this "fixed", but they're reputation has taken a massive hit.

Last edited:
New 2018 Honda CRV is just introduced to the EU market, majority of sales are diesels though

we have 16 CRV, and the car smells somewhat gas in the combastion but our is using some oil between oil changes; so I normally add 1/2-1 quart between oil changes along with the filter each 5K; I haven't noticed any odd sound from the engine compartment and the car functions flawlessly for us to this day (33K) although it is not perfect car and we are OK with that

Originally Posted by Balrog006
By the way:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-fuel-dilution-problems-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

It was a mistake for them to ignore it as long as they did. Did they think they wouldn't have to address it here? When they already admitted it was a problem in China? The optics of that look horrendous.

I'm surprised there isn't already a law that forces manufacturers to issue a recall globally, if they do it in one region and the recall applies to the same product sold elsewhere. What's the logic for doing a fix in China but not in the U.S.? It's not a problem in one area but it is in the other?

Engine manufacturing, numerous other parts and assembly of the Chinese models were Chinese done in China. Problems there could be related to those parts suppliers, different engines, different assembly lines/personnel, etc. too many unknowns and variables to make a comparison with the US produced models.

In this case no. I'm not referring to the construction of the engine or parts. I'm referring to how in multiple regions, the same problems have been reported for the same product.

In China:
The recalls are aimed at fixing a problem caused by an unusual amount of un-combusted petrol collecting in the engine's lubricant oil pan.
The issue in some cases caused a strong odor of gasoline inside the car and in others the car's check-engine light came on. Honda and Dongfeng plan to resolve the issue by updating the engine's gasoline injection control software.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...after-recall-plan-rejected-idUSKCN1GE1P8

That is literally the same problem being experienced stateside for the same products, so no, it is the same problem and they should be treating everyone who has the same problem the same, not everyone who has the same exact parts with the same exact revision.

Originally Posted by miden851
New 2018 Honda CRV is just introduced to the EU market, majority of sales are diesels though

we have 16 CRV, and the car smells somewhat gas in the combastion but our is using some oil between oil changes; so I normally add 1/2-1 quart between oil changes along with the filter each 5K; I haven't noticed any odd sound from the engine compartment and the car functions flawlessly for us to this day (33K) although it is not perfect car and we are OK with that

so its a diffrent engine than the 1.5 in the civic?

yes it is the same engine from the civic 1.5l

however, the CRVs come with 1.6d in Europe as well

In China:
The recalls are aimed at fixing a problem caused by an unusual amount of un-combusted petrol collecting in the engine's lubricant oil pan.
The issue in some cases caused a strong odor of gasoline inside the car and in others the car's check-engine light came on. Honda and Dongfeng plan to resolve the issue by updating the engine's gasoline injection control software.

Really wondering if just a re-flash (software fix) can do it. We'll see I guess. Honda is still working on it.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
In China:

Really wondering if just a re-flash (software fix) can do it. We'll see I guess. Honda is still working on it.

Hopefully not like they were working on the transmission in the Accord and Odyssey, LOL
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dblshock
Honda knew.

Yeah, we figured Honda knew they are selling junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back