Honda's 100-month Battery Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I have about 4.5 years on our Honda Ridgeline battery and it is still going strong, and that's here in the hot South! The battery voltage is still reading 12.6 to 12.7 volts when the vehicle is not running.

On our Saturn, I got at least 6 years out of the battery that was in it after I bought it when it was 3 years old. I assume it had just been replaced but I'm not sure. The current battery has about 3 to 3.5 years on it.

On the other hand, the battery in our recently purchased 2005 Grand Prix croaked today at only 2 years of age! It was a cheap Napa battery which, while it physically was the correct size, apparently did not have the cranking capacity that was needed by the car. It now has a larger capacity Napa battery; we'll see how long it lasts. The Napa guy checked the alternator and he said it was putting out the correct voltage (around 13.5 volts) so don't think the charging system is an issue.

Originally Posted By: skyship
A good car battery should last 10 years, so if it failed after 4 I would not buy the same type again. Bosch sealed batteries seem to be good and have a 4 year warranty, although I don't know how the define a failure, other than the engine won't start.
It's worth paying extra for a good battery if you intend to keep your vehicle.

From what planet is that statement based? I've been driving for over 40 years and never has a battery made it past 37 months. My RAV4 bought new in Jan. 2009 is now on it's third battery. From my viewpoint your statement is absolutely laughable.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
lots of mis-information in this thread. never heard of HEAT killing a battery. its COLD that kills a battery.

advance auto or walmart have the cheapest batteries at the moment.

Heat IS the biggest killer or batteries second only to neglect according to the manufacturers.

10 years is stretching it a bit for battery life , can be done with proper maintenance . In the mid atlantic the average car starting battery is 58 months . It is the heat that kills the batteries then when it gets cold the damage shows its ugly head.

Don't buy Delco AC batteries. I had to replace my battery twice in three years! Under most circumstances my batteries would last for about 5 years and then all of a suddent take a dump. I too suggest you re-charge your batteries annually.

Durango

I have only seen/whitnessed 1 car battery in my whole life that lasted 10 years. I have never had one myself
Originally Posted By: skyship
A good car battery should last 10 years, so if it failed after 4 I would not buy the same type again. Bosch sealed batteries seem to be good and have a 4 year warranty, although I don't know how the define a failure, other than the engine won't start.
It's worth paying extra for a good battery if you intend to keep your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back