Honda Z1 (factory fill) 7700Mi 2006 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I sampled this, the fluid was very dark. Does the flashpoint seem a little low to anyone? I didn't dump the fluid, but plan on doing a partial swap with Mola's Z1 replacement and then another partial swap at 15000 miles again with Mola's Z1 replacement.

Code:

Honda Odyssey

3.5L V-6

Vehicle miles: 7,693

Miles on oil : 7,693

Life of oil : 8 months

Lab: Blackstone

This is the factory ATF your Honda came equipped with, and it looks pretty good.

WE didn’t find anything too far out of line. Wear metals are perhaps high for

an oil run less than 7700 miles (averages are based on 15,500 miles), but

that’s due to wear in of new parts. Everything should improve with the next

sample, which we think you can run longer than this. No contaminants were

present, and no insolubles were present. If this oil hasn’t been changed, it

can stay in place a little longer. Otherwise, run your next fill 10K-12K

before sampling.

Date 12/06/06

MI on oil 7693 Universal Average

Unit MI 7693

Aluminum 24 25

Chromium 1 1

Iron 58 70

Copper 10 17

Lead 1 4

Tin 0 1

Moly 0 1

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 0 1

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 1 1

Boron 242 199

Silicon 8 13

Sodium 12 7

Calcium 361 366

Magnesium 215 157

Phosph 4 76

Zinc 326 263

Barium 9 4

Sub Viscosity @ 210 = 46.9

Should be 42-51

Flashpoint = 340

Should be >335

Water =
Should be

Insolubles = 0.0

Should be

Picture version:
115585853-L.jpg

Flashpoint is typically low for mineral ATFs. Nothing to worry about.
Viscosity is 6.3. Thats a point of shearing in 7.7k miles. Z1 has nothing to brag about.

Stick with 7.5k drain/refills. That'll help remove iron and bump up the viscosity a little.

Since insolubles are 0, OEM filtration is working(for now).

Since you are switching to a boutique fluid, consider a full flow or bypass filter so that you can run the fluid longer and not worry about wear particles.

Quote:

Since you are switching to a boutique fluid, consider a full flow or bypass filter so that you can run the fluid longer and not worry about wear particles.

Thanks for the comments. I have a magnafine in my Tundra and considered doing that for the Honda, but I think I want to wait until the warranty is out on the Honda first. With the history of these transmissions I don't want to raise too many eyebrows on a warranty claim. They probably won't catch the non Z1 fluid, but they will definitely notice the magnafine. In 3 years I will probably replace the OEM cartridge filter and add the magnafine.

Quote:

What is your plan on replacing the cartridge filter? You're not waiting until 3 years to replace it the 1st time are you?

The OEM filter is supposed to be a "lifetime" filter. I don't buy into it being lifetime, but the consensus seems to be between 50K and 75K on odyclub.com. If I change it in 3 years it would be around 40K with the amount of miles we put on the Odyssey. I believe if I change the ATF on a regular basis and the filter at 3 years I will be in good shape.

That filter doesn't look too easy to get at either. In the 2nd gens (1999-2004) it was an external mounted filter. I have a spare kicking around from when I had a 2002 and it looks like a large fuel filter. On the 3rd gens, it's mounted more inside the tranny body - you have to remove a filter cover, then the filter itself is accessible (it's like a drop in filter on a VW diesel - I dunno what the official name of this type of filter is - cartridge filter??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back