Honda V6 oil leaks

I bought a 2006 Acura TL with 159,000 miles from a friend and finding out the 3.2 has multiple oil leaks. This is my first Honda product I have owned so I didn’t know much about issues these cars have. It seems these Honda V6 engines like to leak oil from multiple spots when the gaskets or o-rings become old and hard. I guess my friend didn’t keep up with the oil leaks over the years. So it looks like I have leaks from the oil filter housing spool valve, VVT solenoid, oil pump seal, camshaft cover plugs, head gasket, and the most expensive one of all, the rear main seal. I’m kicking myself for not doing more research before buying this car. I’m blaming myself and not my friend because he has a small fleet of cars and probably just didn’t pay attention to the cars he didn’t drive daily.

The oil pump is located behind the timing belt, so when that gasket is replace, a new timing belt, tensioner, crank and cam seals, and water pump will be going in also. I did pay way below market value for this car but the repair bills are getting pretty high. All I read is this engine can last 300,000 miles no problem. If that is true, after fixing these oil leaks, it should be smooth sailing, right?

When properly maintained, Honda V-6 engines are as stout and reliable as any engine. My first Honda V-6 was in a 1990 Acura Legend purchased new, and it was awesome for 214,000 miles until my teenage son wrecked it. Is it worth trying a good high mileage oil like Maxlife?

I wonder if there is something else wrong here. My 2007 Honda V6 with 185,000 Km has no oil leaks (knock on wood). I wonder about your PCV valve. It shouldn't have anything to do with the head gasket though.

The PCV valve is an odd design (on mine anyway) and replacing it wouldn't be easy.

If it’s been maintained and not abused it should be good for another 100K. The transmission on the other hand…

When properly maintained, Honda V-6 engines are as stout and reliable as any engine. My first Honda V-6 was in a 1990 Acura Legend purchased new, and it was awesome for 214,000 miles until my teenage son wrecked it. Is it worth trying a good high mileage oil like Maxlife?
You have the C-Series V6, still a good motor, but not much in common with the J-Series. Probably can run it on whatever you want and have good results.

Unless it has been abused, the head gasket shouldn't be leaking.

Yes, at 160k it is probably seeping from the oil pump area. There are several gaskets in there that need to be replaced, and yes you should probably just do the timing belt while you're in there since it all has to come out. I have a post on here somewhere with all of the parts (double check to make sure they will also go on the 3.2). One thing I haven't had the need to replace on my 255k J3A4 is the cam seals. They don't seem to leak very often, so if yours aren't, you can probably skip those.

Valve cover gaskets also go bad, and need replacing, you can't just tighten them up and make them stop since the bolts have built in limiters that will only allow them to be so tight. Use the factory gaskets here, aftermarket ones just don't last. Spark plug tube seals should be done at the same time, and I've used a few different brands and those all seem to work well.

The rear main usually doesn't leak on these, not saying yours isn't, but I would save that one for last. Once you get all the others sealed up then see if you're still seeing oil from that area.

--Edit--
Here's the post with the part numbers. Scroll down to the fixed post that un-jumbles the first post.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the valve cover gaskets and not the head gasket. I replaced the PCV valve today. You could still hear a slight rattle when shaking it, but nothing like the new one sounds.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is something else wrong here. My 2007 Honda V6 with 185,000 Km has no oil leaks (knock on wood). I wonder about your PCV valve. It shouldn't have anything to do with the head gasket though.

The PCV valve is an odd design (on mine anyway) and replacing it wouldn't be easy.
Uhh, should be a 10mm bolt on the front valve cover and it pulls right out. It is an odd design, but car repairs don't get any more simple than a J-Series PCV.

Part#: 17130-RCA-A02

Sorry, I meant the valve cover gaskets and not the head gasket. I replaced the PCV valve today. You could still hear a slight rattle when shaking it, but nothing like the new one sounds.
If you're doing all the other work, might as well have the valve clearances checked while the covers are off. Likely have some tight exhaust valves by now.

Honda J series engines tend to be oil leakers after 150K IME. 50/50 chance of a leaking oil pump seal. Usually it becomes a big mess like this:
C63E74D8-1258-440C-A018-B4D02F26C7BA.jpeg

Sounds to me that you just need to do an oil pump reseal plus the usual valve cover reseal with valve adjustment. For a DIYer it can be done in 1.5 days.

Back