Honda SUV front suspension rattle?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have two customers with Hondas, an '06 Odyssey and '12 Pilot, that have a noise in the front suspension that I can't find. The Odyssey got new KYB struts (jjust the damper, not quick struts) last fall, and the Pilot just got one (left hand side - was banging even on smooth road, all the oil was now grease on the outside of it and the rod was bent from being hit before they bought it) today. The Pilot has 88K on it and I assume the active motor mounts haven't been serviced, and the Odyssey has 212K and I replaced all the mounts (Beck Arnley, I think - owner wanted to chance it instead of going broke buying OEM's) at the same time I did the struts.

While both noises are similar, the Pilot is most pronounced - worst when at fairly low speed, turning right, when the driver's front tire goes over a pavement seam (entering a parking lot, etc.) or a rough portion of a gravel road. Doesn't do it when going down the road, even when I run it on the buzzer strip between lanes. But if the wheel is turned slightly to the right, even a stick the size of my thumb laying in my driveway can cause it. And I wouldn't describe it as a "clunk" or even a rattle - it's a mild "bang" that feels like it's directly under and in front of the driver's feet. I've inspected both rigs as best I know how and can't find anything I feel confident telling them to spend the money replacing to fix it - honestly, nothing looks or feels bad.

Ball joints? I've done the usual drill to inspect them and can't get any slop, but with one being wrecked and the other being fairly high mileage I wouldn't say they wore out prematurely.

Subframe bushings? That's right where the noise feels like it originates from and that assembly moving could cause the type of noise I hear, but once again I can't manifest any obvious signs of wear and that's not a small or cheap job to do as a guess.

Any ideas?

Perhaps the control arm bushings? I just had to replace mine in my 2005 CR-V and it made the same kind of noise you are describing. They were shot after 240k. And no, it wasn't cheap. My indy re-pressed new ones in vs. replacing the entire control arm. The front end is REALLY firm now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Perhaps the control arm bushings?

+1 Check the compliance bushings. The Pilot has an extended warranty on this since it's a known failure point.

I have an 03 CRV and the compliance bushings were shot at about 75,000 miles. I replaced them with Mugen hard rubber compliance bushings which are like a solid rubber donut. The bushings are made for an Acura RSX but fit my CRV perfectly. I now have 200,000 miles and the Mugen compliance bushings still look like new. I'm sure the Mugen compliance bushings will last the lifetime of my CRV.

In what condition are the spring isolators and strut mounts/bearings?

I just went through this exact problem with my wife's '05 CR-V. New KYB struts and mounts, new ball joints and bushings in the OEM LCAs. Had the same noise you describe in the front end. I probably had it apart five times trying to track down the source of the noise.

Got mad enough this weekend to rip it all out and put in new KYB Strut Plus units and new LCAs. Problem solved. Forensic disassembly of removed parts did not indicate a sign of any fitment problems or defective parts, and I know what to look for. I've been working on Hondas since '98.

Originally Posted By: dirtymudder
Sway bar bushings/rods?

That would be my guess. Stabilizer bar end-links. I've had some that looked new, but were sloppy. You'll only get clunks over bumps when they go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back