Honda Ridgeline ZF 9 Speed

Opening up an old thread. Curious how these 9AT's are working out. Looking at the gear ratios it seems like it addresses what I've always thought the Ridge had a problem with: deep enough gearing for low speed work.

6AT: 3.359 for first and 2.269 for reverse, FD of 4.25
9AT: 4.713 for first and 3.83 for reverse, FD of 4.334

That comes out to an overall ratio of 9.6:1 for 6AT and 16.6:1 for the 9T, in reverse--always nice when backing a trailer up an incline. First gear takeoff ratio is probably less important, deeper would accelerate faster but usually it's reverse where I spend the most time going deliberately slow and working the torque convertor.

I did read on a Pilot forum that a software reflash might have the Pilot starting off in second (unless if in sport mode or heavy throttle usage). IMO this might make sense, in a truck, include a deep first gear and ditch the 2 speed transfer case, and use the deep first only when necessary. I'm not saying that they did do this here, just that it'd make sense to me if they had.

Originally Posted by supton

I did read on a Pilot forum that a software reflash might have the Pilot starting off in second (unless if in sport mode or heavy throttle usage). IMO this might make sense, in a truck, include a deep first gear and ditch the 2 speed transfer case, and use the deep first only when necessary. I'm not saying that they did do this here, just that it'd make sense to me if they had.

Mercedes and Ford used a similar trick. It's a Mercedes quirk to start off in 2nd gear for a smoother take off, they did that up until the 1990s when a W(inter)/S(port) switch was introduced. When you pressed the switch in W mode, the car will start off in 2nd gear to reduce wheelspin on slick surfaces. I've seen the W/S mode switch on BMWs and Lexus models that does the same 2nd gear start.

Ford on the 5R110 tranny which was based on the ZF 6HP but tweaked in-house was really a 6-speed but one gear is disabled out of the shift pattern. When Tow/Haul was selected, the transmission will choose the 2nd "alt" gear. I dunno if that was a 2nd gear start to keep the trans temps down or locking out the 6th "top" gear for a 1-5 gear pattern.

I've been following the Ridgeline forum for about three years. I bought a 2019 model with the 6-speed as I didn't want to gamble on the ZF in the first year in the Ridgeline. But owners on the Ridgeline forum have been very satisfied with the ZF and there haven't been any serious issues uncovered. I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline which has the ZF. It's too new for me to weigh in on the longevity of the unit, but the shift quality and performance seem to be fine so far.

I've been following the Ridgeline forum for about three years. I bought a 2019 model with the 6-speed as I didn't want to gamble on the ZF in the first year in the Ridgeline. But owners on the Ridgeline forum have been very satisfied with the ZF and there haven't been any serious issues uncovered. I recently purchased a 2021 Ridgeline which has the ZF. It's too new for me to weigh in on the longevity of the unit, but the shift quality and performance seem to be fine so far.
Welcome to the forum!

Keep us updated on how it does!

Bought my 2021 Ridgeline about two months ago and coming up on 5K miles so far. Seems to shift fine and no complaints. I think Honda has the ZF9 sorted now.

As mention earlier from what I have read, the ZF9 transmission as delivered to Honda, FCA (Stellantis) and other European customers is basically the same transmissions overall in design. The only major difference is that ZF delivers the transmissions with the TCM mounted and a base software coding. It is up to the respective manufacturers to do there own coding for the TCM. In almost every first year introduction to a respective vehicle maker using the ZF9, the shift programming was not sorted well and in later years and with TSB program updates have smoothed out most issues with the transmission.

Bought my 2021 Ridgeline about two months ago and coming up on 5K miles so far. Seems to shift fine and no complaints. I think Honda has the ZF9 sorted now.

As mention earlier from what I have read, the ZF9 transmission as delivered to Honda, FCA (Stellantis) and other European customers is basically the same transmissions overall in design. The only major difference is that ZF delivers the transmissions with the TCM mounted and a base software coding. It is up to the respective manufacturers to do there own coding for the TCM. In almost every first year introduction to a respective vehicle maker using the ZF9, the shift programming was not sorted well and in later years and with TSB program updates have smoothed out most issues with the transmission.
I did a drain and fill on a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with the ZF 9-speed automatic transmission. I used Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic because it's Honda ATF Type 3.1 compatible.

I did a drain and fill on a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with the ZF 9-speed automatic transmission. I used Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic because it's Honda ATF Type 3.1 compatible.

How close to the stated 3.5 quarts drained?

Have run MaxLife ATF in Chrysler ZF 8 speeds with no issue and probably will do the same for my Ridgeline when the time comes.

Have run MaxLife ATF in Chrysler ZF 8 speeds with no issue and probably will do the same for my Ridgeline when the time comes.
That's a good question! The owner's manual stated 3.5 qts but 4 qts actually came out as measured via a used 5 qt motor oil container. Shifting is as smooth as ever.

Update, the wife has driven the SUV in Eco mode, Normal mode, in the summer heat (mid-90's), in the city, and on the highway. No difference in shifting or MPG. I'm not surprised, Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF seems to be the solution to Honda's ZF-1/DW-1 ATF woes for years. She's past 55k miles now.

Not clear if Honda does updates but complaints of modern transmissions are fixable with better programming. Our 8 speed AISIN in our first year 2018 VW Tiguan was a dog and jerky somewhat. A Flash transformed vehicle with pep and smooth as glass power train.

Fixing broken link. The SUV is running great, no problems according to the wife and she's daily driving it.

Fixing broken link. The SUV is running great, no problems according to the wife and she's daily driving it.

Follow up post on the 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with ZF 9-Speed transmission. No problems with 1x drain and fill with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF, 3.75 qts came out at the 55,000 miles. We did another 1x drain and fill, 3.9 qts came out at 59,000 miles. We took the easy route and poured a 1 gallon jug in this time. Drove it around for a day on the street and highway without problems.

Follow up post on the 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with ZF 9-Speed transmission. No problems with 1x drain and fill with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF, 3.75 qts came out at the 55,000 miles. We did another 1x drain and fill, 3.9 qts came out at 59,000 miles. We took the easy route and poured a 1 gallon jug in this time. Drove it around for a day on the street and highway without problems.

Follow up post on the 2017 Honda Pilote Elite AWD with ZF 9-Speed transmission. Did the third 1x drain and fill using Valvoline MaxLife. No problems to report. We take it on long drives and it's now past 70k miles. Fast forward to the 1:42 mark to see 29.0 MPG average on the highway in Eco mode.

From my limited knowledge, it seems to me that the greater the number of gears, the greater the potential for problems.

CAFE standards may be forcing auto makers into using more gears.
Yeah remember when they went from 3 speeds to 4 speeds and all the problems???? I don’t nor do you because it did not happen….

Yeah remember when they went from 3 speeds to 4 speeds and all the problems???? I don’t nor do you because it did not happen….
The Chrysler minivan transmissions were very problematic for years after they went to four speeds. The old 3-speeds were well-regarded.

A mechanic told me the best combo (in the Chrysler minivans) was 3-speed with lock-up torque converter.

Back