Honda Remanufactured Transmissions

Thanks again for all the comments, guys. Once this is all put to bed I’ll report back with details.

On this kind of topic, what do transmissions shops do - rebuild or remanufacture ? Guess it depends on each person's definition of those words. Those shops always seem to use the phrase "rebuild" though.

It depends on what you pay the shop for. A 'manufacturer remanufacture' is the most
complete you can imagine. That's why it's probably the most expensive option as well.

If Honda is anything like Toyota, it’s an in-house rebuild more than likely. Toyota has Aisin rebuild them. Looks like they do it in Michigan, I thought it was in LA.

Honda does have a transmission/powertrain unit in the suburbs of Columbus, OH and Atlanta. Though, they might outsource that to an authorized 3rd party - Ford and GM do.

What choice do you really have?

A couple, really. As the problem isn’t pronounced now I could ignore it and hope for the best or I could trade the car. The issue isn’t disabling or anything close to frequent, so those were the alternatives. But the replacement route, while a bit pricey, should eliminate the issue and give me a fresh 3/36k warranty.

From a good source at my dealership, was informed that the CVT transmission is not considered "field serviceable". Failures of properly maintained transmissions are "rare" and are considered on an individual basis for replacement. I got the general impression that Honda tends to be somewhat generous with replacements because they are sensitive about CVT reliability and their reputation, probably has something to do with the CVT failures of Nissan, Subaru and other competitors. In my experience, the Honda CVT has been very reliable when not abused or neglected. Other opinions surely are out there and YMMV.

From a good source at my dealership, was informed that the CVT transmission is not considered "field serviceable". Failures of properly maintained transmissions are "rare" and are considered on an individual basis for replacement. I got the general impression that Honda tends to be somewhat generous with replacements because they are sensitive about CVT reliability and their reputation, probably has something to do with the CVT failures of Nissan, Subaru and other competitors. In my experience, the Honda CVT has been very reliable when not abused or neglected. Other opinions surely are out there and YMMV.

Makes sense. My issue is clearly a manufacturing problem and not from abuse or poor maintenance - there’s a TSB identifying the cause as excessive clearance between input and stator shafts. I was unlucky in that it became evident shortly after the warranty expired. The existence of a TSB makes the “rare” characterization generous.

Back in 2015 with my Accord I wanted the 4 cyl and decided to go with the MT6, it's been ok- might have gone with the v6 and the traditional auto. No CVT for me- Honda or otherwise.

Back in 2015 with my Accord I wanted the 4 cyl and decided to go with the MT6, it's been ok- might have gone with the v6 and the traditional auto. No CVT for me- Honda or otherwise.

I guess we can read too much into a single experience. It’s not like manufacturers of conventional automatics don’t have problems with particular designs or examples. In my case, the issue was not really because it was a CVT, it was simply sloppy tolerance control during manufacture.

There are lots of high-mileage Honda CVTs out there so we probably shouldn’t write totally off the breed. Now if you don’t like the way CVTs drive, that’s a different issue.

I guess we can read too much into a single experience. It’s not like manufacturers of conventional automatics don’t have problems with particular designs or examples. In my case, the issue was not really because it was a CVT, it was simply sloppy tolerance control during manufacture.

There are lots of high-mileage Honda CVTs out there so we probably shouldn’t write totally off the breed. Now if you don’t like the way CVTs drive, that’s a different issue.
All the above- watched a video 0-60 comparison- not the CVT's forte', I was living in Yellowknife at the time (weeks of -35C), I saw reliability issues ahead. My opinion also is the japs never really had a robust auto either style.

I'm pretty sure a new transmission doesn't exist for a 2015 Honda CRV, let alone one that's 5yrs newer.

It's the same situation for any other make/model. As far as I know, no manufacturer has ever stockpiled brand new transmissions for the spare parts market. They're all reman'd, rebuilt or used.

I'm pretty sure a new transmission doesn't exist for a 2015 Honda CRV, let alone one that's 5yrs newer.

It's the same situation for any other make/model. As far as I know, no manufacturer has ever stockpiled brand new transmissions for the spare parts market. They're all reman'd, rebuilt or used.

Agree. Maybe if you have a 2021 that failed during 2021 production a new trans would be the solution. Otherwise a remanufactured unit is the best you can do. But in my case I expect I got the benefit of any intervening parts upgrades that would fit.

Reactions: JTK
Get a Honda remanufactured or find a trust worthy shop to rebuild / repair your trans? Which would be better? Is that what you are asking?

Get a Honda remanufactured or find a trust worthy shop to rebuild / repair your trans? Which would be better? Is that what you are asking?

Well the story is really over but I had a choice: go with a Honda remanufactured transmission, sell the car or hope for the best as-is. My question was how thorough was the remanufacturing process for major automakers. Based on comments here I felt comfortable is was very thorough and went that route.

My 2002 Odyssey transmission went out on me in 2010 with 98k on it. Honda NA offered a reman transmission with 50% cost sharing which I accepted. (Had to replace the ECU too at my expense though). 11 years later, it's at 212k miles and no trouble at all. I do keep up with D&F ATF every 15k miles. Seems to have been worth the approx $1500 expense.

At that time, I believe I was told that Honda reman transmissions were done in-house and brought up to whatever was the current specs at that time. I'm assuming that wear items are replaced and other items are inspected.

Think of the guy in the work area. He fully disassembles the transmission and has a full stack of replacement soft parts which he starts to stack in order while visually looking for any obviously worn parts. The sun gears in a conventional tranny would not normally be replaced unless they looked really bad. Good question on the solenoids. I guess that depends on the type of warranty offered.

Back