Honda Remanufactured Transmissions

I’ve been offered a goodwill replacement on a Honda transmission with Honda kindly picking up the majority of the cost. Even so, this is far from a freebie to me. My existing transmission is original and under 60k miles but time has expired on the factory powertrain warranty. The problem the current trans has is very intermittent, but the question is whether it will get worse with time.

Honda’s offer seemed like a logical step until, after asking the question, I was told it would be a remanufactured, not a new unit.

Does anyone here know what Honda means by the term “remanufactured”? I guess it could mean anything from replacing all internal parts subject to wear to simply fixing whatever was wrong with the donor core and testing it.

Honda remanufactured products come with a 3/36 warranty, which is comforting. But I surely don’t want to wind up with a 100k transmission with an uncertain maintenance history that has simply been repaired.

There is a 7 year-old thread on this subject somewhere here that seems a little inconclusive and things change. Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I’ve been offered a goodwill replacement on a Honda transmission with Honda kindly picking up the majority of the cost. Even so, this is far from a freebie to me. My existing transmission is original and under 60k miles but time has expired on the factory powertrain warranty. The problem the current trans has is very intermittent, but the question is whether it will get worse with time.

Honda’s offer seemed like a logical step until, after asking the question, I was told it would be a remanufactured, not a new unit.

Does anyone here know what Honda means by the term “remanufactured”? I guess it could mean anything from replacing all internal parts subject to wear to simply fixing whatever was wrong with the donor core and testing it.

Honda remanufactured products come with a 3/36 warranty, which is comforting. But I surely don’t want to wind up with a 100k transmission with an uncertain maintenance history that has simply been repaired.

There is a 7 year-old thread on this subject somewhere here that seems a little inconclusive and things change. Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Remanufactured, means just that, fix what caused it to fail, clean and inspect everything else.

Remanufactured, means just that, fix what caused it to fail, clean and inspect everything else.
Wrong. They replace ALL soft parts like clutches, gaskets, seals, probably many solenoids, bearings and bushings, as well bore out and sleave many passages.
I’ve been offered a goodwill replacement on a Honda transmission with Honda kindly picking up the majority of the cost. Even so, this is far from a freebie to me. My existing transmission is original and under 60k miles but time has expired on the factory powertrain warranty.
So your factory warranty expired and are being offered a new transmission with a 3/36 warranty? How much do you have to kick in? If under $500, I'd say go for it. If Honda is being that generous, it means they think there is a problem with yours and won't get any better.

Wrong. They replace ALL soft parts like clutches, gaskets, seals, probably many solenoids, bearings and bushings, as well bore out and sleave many passages.

So your factory warranty expired and are being offered a new transmission with a 3/36 warranty? How much do you have to kick in? If under $500, I'd say go for it. If Honda is being that generous, it means they think there is a problem with yours and won't get any better.
REALLY, who are THEY, bore and sleave passages that are so small in the first place, rubbish. the labor would be insane !! I see probably, well probably absolutely wrong, show me pics of sleaved passages.

The replacement transmission might have revised part(s) that makes it more reliable.
Honda does the rebuilds themselves (or contract the work to facilities) so I'm 99% confident they rebuild them to the latest/current spec, using the latest revision parts, and so on. I know a corporate Honda QA guy and he gave me the impression that the transmission plant NW of C'bus does the rebuild work in-house.

All wear and electronic items will be new (solenoids, clutches, bearings, seals, bushings and torque converter). Non-wear items like the case and hard parts like shafts will be inspected and replaced if needed. Any parts that Honda engineering has updated for service will be installed in the trans.

I’ve been offered a goodwill replacement on a Honda transmission with Honda kindly picking up the majority of the cost.
I think this is a no-brainer. I would have accepted the offer before the rep finished their sentence. Your existing transmission is out of warranty so your only other recourse, well, you have (2) I guess, is 1) a rebuilt transmission or 2) a new transmission ($5000+ ??, if available), both at 100% your cost.

I think this is a no-brainer. I would have accepted the offer before the rep finished their sentence. Your existing transmission is out of warranty so your only other recourse, well, you have (2) I guess, is 1) a rebuilt transmission or 2) a new transmission ($5000+ ??, if available), both at 100% your cost.

Could be. Just wanted to have a bit more reassurance on what I was buying. Going the Dealer/OEM route isn’t an inexpensive option, even with Honda’s help. And guess I’d add options 3 & 4: 3) do nothing and hope for the best as the problem is very intermittent and has hardly reached the nuisance stage or 4) gee, trade in values are awfully high these days…

Incidentally, I appreciate all the replies.

Danh, what year and model is your Honda?

2015 CRV. And just to be clear, I think Honda has been great about this. Just trying to fill in my knowledge gap: don’t do this every day. Or ever, actually.

Last edited:
I’d have zero reservations. They are all new except for the housing. I’ve had experience with one of their remanufactured units and it worked like new, as it should. What happened to your original trans. That is an early failure for a Honda 5 speed.

Edit: I forgot 2015 was the FIRST year Honda put their CVT in the CRV. That’s still an early failure. Why was the cause?

It’s practically unanimous: they are giving you a good deal. Of course they make you put up some of your own cash, that is the difference between “goodwill” and “still under warranty”.

Thanks I'd be taking them up on their offer. Even if it cost you $1000. Better than being on the hook for the whole cost.
I would be tempted to accept 12 months 12k miles on the reman & they can keep the rest & I pay NOTHING.
Like getting a new trans on a seven year old auto. : )

Remanufactured? I suppose it depends on who does the work. Most all reman outfits are like Jasper etc. I don't know exactly their processes, but depending on the device that they reman, that is whether it is a transmission or engine, they first tear down the device then toss all the parts into a bin, so that engine or? never again see's any of its original parts that were removed from it. Then all parts are cleaned and checked for proper and hopefully factory recommended wear dimensions, then they are machined if needed, then put into the categorized parts bins, for that particular device they are to be reused on. Device being the engine or transmission which ever the department is working on. Now for a transmission especially a CVT transaxle there are certain parts that if in good reusable condition should not be mixed up, and hopefully the reman out fit doesn't do that. Variator parts and gearing parts that have worn together should not be mixed, but depending on the outfit who knows for sure. They are all in the business to make money and the less they have to do the cheaper it is. I've read many stories about reman transmissions not lasting very long. Maybe with honda that is different. You also need to realized it is usually under paid and under skilled kids that are taught to do the assembly work in these rebuilder outfits.

Back