Honda Pilot—No Name Brakepads

It's too bad you just can't tell us what model year the Pilot is.

Early Pilot's were originally spec'ed with FF pads, after many complaints that was changed retroactively to GG's. As a result, some "OEM Spec" aftermarket parts became instantly non-OEM spec.

So, no, I would not accept an FF set of front pads, unless that spec changed back in later model years... which I don't think it did. Even then, I wouldn't accept it. There are plenty of good GG pads out there with good bite and the GG spec, including the made-in-Canada NAPA Adaptive One pads I used on my 2005 Pilot.
The last set of 45022-S9V-A02’s I purchased (about 3 months ago) were FF. Current eBay pictures show the same.

There are a lot of other factors that can affect overall pad performance so I would not get too hung up about the friction rating.

There has been discussion before here about quality FF pads vs cheap GG pads... I understand that... but these are cheap FF pads.

Toss in "no name" and there is plenty to get chances for something to be hung up on. They make work just fine... until the fade sets in on overheated brakes at the worst moment. There is a quantitative temperature performance difference between FF and GG ratings, for a reason.

There has been discussion before here about quality FF pads vs cheap GG pads... I understand that... but these are cheap FF pads.

Toss in "no name" and there is plenty to get chances for something to be hung up on. They make work just fine... until the fade sets in on overheated brakes at the worst moment. There is a quantitative temperature performance difference between FF and GG ratings, for a reason.
Sure, I can agree on no-name friction.
However, I have yet to read an explanation on how those ratings can fully address all of the critical performance areas for brake pads performance.

- Fade: those ratings do not address fade or in-stop fade. How consistent are the friction levels from stop-to-stop?

- High speed reduction: what is the variation in friction level between high speed stops and normal stops?

- Pad compressibility?

Lots of other questions come to mind. I am not sure if these ratings really help; they trigger more questions than answers.

Yes, a lot of questions... which is why I made a concrete recommendation of a GG pad that in 42K miles of use maintained good bite, did not experience fade under hard use, and the vehicle still had a high and hard pedal when I sold it. Also the rotor still looked like a flat machined surface, not a grooved mess.

I look forward to a future review of these no-name pads.

Dropped the idea of no name brand ones since front ones were in great condition, only replaced rear ones with a Bendix CFC865( got on a great price) and so far pleased with the results.

At least, it allowed me to lubricate all the sliding pins and ensure fluid is bled too. Thank you all.

Back