Honda Pilot—No Name Brakepads

So I usually go with name brand brake pads, Centric, Wagner TQ, Raybestos Element 3, etc.

For Honda Pilot, bought a no name brand brake pads from Amazon at a price couldn't refuse, came with lube and all other hardware and 8 pads for all 4 wheels.

Reading at them it says 33 7101 FF then 066511 1112 N19 on the front ones - can anyone educate me if being a FF is a good thing and should install it? Or just avoid them? Thank you

FF is the friction heat rating of the pad material. Its not an indication of the quality however. How its bonded, how good the back plate is etc.

GG is probably more available that when this chart was made.

1-.jpg

I've had great luck (knock wood) with ebay pad & rotor combos bought on price.

I've also had 2-year old Hawk brand pads delaminate, which made me have to pump the pedal 4-5 times to take up the sudden increase in space between the calipers.

You'll be fine if your rotors are flat and the new pads bed in well.

I too would prefer a brand name on the product. I prefer a Coefficient of Friction (CoF) of "FF" as they feel to me, closest to OE.

As Spasm3 said, backing plate materials, bonding, etc all factor into quality of pad. I purchased a set of no-name cheap rotors and pads many years ago from one of the moderately known online auto parts companies at a price i could not refuse, but i wish i did refuse. It was for an 00 Chrysler T&C, if that matters. The rotors and pads looked great out of the box, and they worked great for a while, until the pad backing plates very quickly and badly rusted out, the pad material peeled away from the backing plate on one of the pads. I believe the whole set lasted less than 2 years. The other pads were not far behind, so had to redo the job prematurely. What should have lasted about 4 years, lasted less than two years. Pads were made in India IIRC and this was quite a few years ago, so quality may have improved, or not.

FF is the friction heat rating of the pad material. Its not an indication of the quality however. How its bonded, how good the back plate is etc.

GG is probably more available that when this chart was made.

1-.jpg
99% of pads used on track and racing are FF.
GG are ceramic mostly, though ATE has semi-metalic GF pads.
Generally, for these vehicles, GG pads are value ceramic, and performance IMO is geared to soccer moms that have a love relationship with the brake pedal. I avoid those pads like a plague.

99% of pads used on track and racing are FF.
GG are ceramic mostly, though ATE has semi-metalic GF pads.
Generally, for these vehicles, GG pads are value ceramic, and performance IMO is geared to soccer moms that have a love relationship with the brake pedal. I avoid those pads like a plague.
You mean FF should be avoided or GG?

You mean FF should be avoided or GG?
I avoid GG. Actually, on Toyota, I have FE Pagid pads. These friction charts are not indicative of quality. They do not tell full story about performance. I use on my BMW on track pads that are FF. I have on the shelf specific track pads that are EE that I will put on BMW once I wear out these.
Then you have Akebono Euro for European vehicles that are GG, and performance-wise absolute garbage.

Id avoid any no name brake components. I wouldn't use them if they were free.

I prefer HAWK LTS (light truck sport) pads.

bought a no name brand brake pads from Amazon
Very good chance they're made by a well-known manufacturer and were meant for a store brand. They might even be pads that contain copper :oops: and the company no longer sells them (with their name on it).

I thought those codes told who manufactured the pads too ?

Id avoid any no name brake components. I wouldn't use them if they were free.

I prefer HAWK LTS (light truck sport) pads.
The dynamic friction company (DFC) pads I have used on 4 cars (so far) qualify as no-name pads, but they have been the best aftermarket pads I have used. Priced super well, OE level stopping power and pedal feel, quiet, etc.

The dynamic friction company (DFC) pads I have used on 4 cars (so far) qualify as no-name pads, but they have been the best aftermarket pads I have used. Priced super well, OE level stopping power and pedal feel, quiet, etc.

To my mind if you can source the manufacturer it is not a no name pad/part.

That's an excellent feedback, have seen them very well priced on RA.

No name brake pads surely can be a hit or a miss. I paired a set of Sangsin (lesser name) ceramic pads with top line ACDelco rotors on my Ridgeline and have driven them 25K miles with no problems.

That's an excellent feedback, have seen them very well priced on RA.
Make sure you get the 5000 series.
No name brake pads surely can be a hit or a miss. I paired a set of Sangsin (lesser name) ceramic pads with top line ACDelco rotors on my Ridgeline and have driven them 25K miles with no problems.
Sangsin is a major player in the Korean market and supplies to Hyundai/Kia. But their aftermarket line is different than OE.

Early Pilot's were originally spec'ed with FF pads, after many complaints that was changed retroactively to GG's. As a result, some "OEM Spec" aftermarket parts became instantly non-OEM spec.

So, no, I would not accept an FF set of front pads, unless that spec changed back in later model years... which I don't think it did. Even then, I wouldn't accept it. There are plenty of good GG pads out there with good bite and the GG spec, including the made-in-Canada NAPA Adaptive One pads I used on my 2005 Pilot.

Back