Honda oil vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem IMHO with the hype over the OEM oils is that they are a "generic"... made for the OEMs by any number of suppliers...e.g. Mobil does TGMO at the present time, but there have been a couple of different suppliers and recipes "made especially for Toyota engines" over the years.

They meet SN, and GF-5.

the M1 has a couple of OEM approvals over the top, Ford and Dexos, which are a tad tighter than the basic API specs.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
OEM filter + M1 = good choice

I agree, and that's what I'd use.

I am a Honda owner and emailed Honda Canada a while back about their OEM engine oils. I was told they were made by Petro Canada, which I can believe because if you look at the plastic bottle it comes in it is exactly the same shape as PC Supreme.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: R18A1
I am a Honda owner and emailed Honda Canada a while back about their OEM engine oils. I was told they were made by Petro Canada, which I can believe because if you look at the plastic bottle it comes in it is exactly the same shape as PC Supreme.

PC does supply a number lubricants to Honda/Acura but the 0W-20 is made specifically to Honda's requirements by Idemitsu.

Originally Posted By: kman2009
Thanks for the reply, i will give a local toyota dealer a ring.

Just to confirm, is the Honda canada idemitsu oil as pictured in this link? https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjB0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleanmpg.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D22011&ei=fv1KVeHqFbeZsQSAzYGQAg&psig=AFQjCNFplTU3JvZfLKBYjFe7PhGgL0V0-w&ust=1431064314985507&rct=j

Also, from your earlier posts, this honda oil is preferable over M1 AFE?

Sorry I wasn't able to open the link but yes I prefer the Honda brand 0W-20 to M1 AFE for it's higher VI of 200 and high 600 ppm moly level.
I should add that it's been a couple of years since we had the Honda oil tested and Idemitsu is now making an even higher 225 VI 0W-20 for Mazda USA, so it is possible Honda Canada is getting Idemitsu's best 0W-20 we just don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back