Honda oil vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

New here, I own a 2009 Honda Fit Sport and have recently decided to start changing my car's oil myself vs. having the dealer change. Accordingly, I have been educating myself on the topic. I plan to use Honda OEM oil filters but I am trying to decide on what type of oil to use based on the following:

- recommended oil is 5w-20 (as specified by Honda back in 2009) - as such, I have been using Honda synthetic blend 5w-20 since new at the Honda dealer
- Honda has since changed their recommendation (as of 2011) to for most models to 0w-20, including the Honda Fit, with no changes to the car otherwise and note 0w-20 is acceptable for my 2009 Honda Fit
- The car currently has 88k kms / 55k miles
- I live in Canada where it does get down to -30 Celsius in the winter

Based on what I've read, I have convinced myself that switching to full synthetic 0w-20 makes sense and should not cause issues, for a better quality oil and more protection on colder starts.

Unless anyone has any comments on my thought above, my question is, should I go with either:
- Honda full synthetic 0w-20, or
- Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy full synthetic 0w-20

Based on the dealer price for the Honda oil and Mobil 1 price on sale... the price is basically the same.

Any opinions on which oil to go with, again I plan to use Honda OEM oil filters? Thanks in advance!

I'm sure the Honda oil is fine, but right now I'd buy two 5-quart jugs of M1 and use the current rebate to get $12 back on each of them. Excellent oil at an excellent price.

You didn't say how long you run your oil, but follow the oil life monitor on your vehicles. The oil life monitor is good, and the oil can handle going the distance.

At the same price, I'd go with whichever one is more convenient to purchase. To be honest, I would add to that list any other 0W20 full synthetic and use the cheapest.

I don't think the M1 $12 MIR works for Canadians (sorry!)

Thanks for the replies.

I do follow the oil life monitor for my oil change intervals.

So there should be no issue to switch to M1 0w-20 full synthetic after using 5w-20 Honda synthetic blend over this time?

many @ fitfreak have run M1 AFE with no problems and it runs well on that oil.

Oil choice between those 2 will be very unlikely to cause you a problem with this car.

Originally Posted By: kman2009
Thanks for the replies.

I do follow the oil life monitor for my oil change intervals.

So there should be no issue to switch to M1 0w-20 full synthetic after using 5w-20 Honda synthetic blend over this time?

There won't be any issues, I have used both oil oils in my Accord and I prefer the M1 AFE 0w20 paired with a Fram Ultra oil filter.

No issues.

Is not Honda Oil in Canada made by Idemitsu - thats pretty good oil I think.

If you can get it go with Mobil 0W-20EP vs AFE if its all the same price...

Atleast in the US Honda officially back speced most of their stuff back into the mid 2000's.

First off:
welcome2.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to use M1 AFE

Thanks everyone, I do have one more question.

As mentioned above, I believe the Honda oil from my Canadian dealer is made by Idemitsu, which I understand is highly rated.

In order to get a reasonable price on the Honda oil if I go that route. I would buy a case which would cover 3 oil changes and would typically last me 3 years based on how little I drive these days. Also, I would purchase the 3-pack of OEM filters. Effectively I would have everything to last me 3 years.

Is there any concern that oil (or even filters), sitting around for 3 years?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Any dino oil is fine for that Honda.

+1

the car will rust away long before the engine decides to leak or burn oil.

Actually the oil will sits 2 years before used. If you buy 3 oil changes today and do first oil change today too, next year you do second oil change and a year after you do third oil change, therefore the third oil change is with 2 years old oil.

No, there is no problem with oil in a sealed containers stored in garage for 5-10 years. I used the last bottles of Mobil 1 15W50 in 2010-2011 I bought around 2000-2001.

Good observation, I failed to mention I just had my oil changed and am just planning on stocking up now so that I have everything when the next oil change comes due....in about a year!

Good to know it can sit around for that timeframe.

the only concern is something cooler comes out before 3years and you really want to take advantage of the new stuff rather than being locked in to the old.

If you're saying you'd wait a year before doing an oil change, I say go ahead and wait until closer to when you're due for an oil change to purchase your oil. Or use the time between now and then to wait until there's a really good sale to pick some up.

if OP is set on getting Mobil1 0w-20 afe, pretty good sale right now with the rebate.
Sales on M1 that are across the board are hard to come by

Last edited:
Thanks for the PM and welcome to BITOG.

The best 0W-20 value in Canada is the Toyota brand (TGMO) 0W-20 at $5.65/L. I hope that still applies in Calgary so call your local Toyota dealer to confirm the price. It's also supplied with in bulk to Toyota and Lexus dealets so an even better deal can often be had on getting some empty 5 litre oil jugs filled if your so inclined.
I also prefer it to the Idemitsu made Honda 0W-20, M1 and all other OW-20s for the price because of it's ultra high viscosity index and high anti-wear additive levels.

Thanks for the reply, i will give a local toyota dealer a ring.

Just to confirm, is the Honda canada idemitsu oil as pictured in this link? https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjB0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleanmpg.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D22011&ei=fv1KVeHqFbeZsQSAzYGQAg&psig=AFQjCNFplTU3JvZfLKBYjFe7PhGgL0V0-w&ust=1431064314985507&rct=j

Also, from your earlier posts, this honda oil is preferable over M1 AFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back