2009 Honda CR-V oil help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a "certified" 2009 CR-V with 32,000 miles on it. The owner's manual and the oil filler cap both say 5w-20. I spoke with a service person and then parts person at Honda dealership about oil changes. The service person said it just needed the "bulk" Honda oil. The parts person said I was supposed to use 0w-20, that recently Honda decided that should replace the 5w-20 in all the engines. He also told me that all their oil was synthetic blend, no just synthetic. To top it all off, the previous owner had all the service done at the dealership, so all oil changes were with whatever "bulk" oil is.

I said all that to ask, what oil should I go with. Particularly, should I go with the 0w-20 the parts person pointed out (and did show me a unimpressive chart on it) or stick to the owner's manual 5w-20. And even more, synthetic blend Honda oil or something else?

Help!

There will be posts extolling the benefits of 0w-20, but in your env, doesn't make much difference.

Millions of hondas have done well on 5w-20.

Honestly if it was GH conventional they used as bulk fill I would use that in 5w20.
However, in your climate and depending on your use of the car and cost, I would probably get PYB 5w20 and be done with it.
If you needed a synthetic, then I would go with PP 5w20, cost wise and availability being the driving factors.

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 would also be a good choice. It is almost identical to Honda Genuine 5W-20 Synthetic Blend. It is also made by ConocoPhillips who... you guessed it, makes HG oil for the US market.

You can pick it up at Walmart, 5qt jug for ~$18.

Last edited:
I'd worry way less about what oil (because it's not going to matter one bit on that car as long as it meets API standards) and just worry about changing all of the other fluids (transmission/brake/rear diff if AWD and power steering). Any SN-rated 5W20 or 0W20 on sale will work perfectly. That car isn't tough on oil; reasonably low oil temps, solid lifters, fairly big sump, fairly low output. IOW, 'easy on oil'.

Thanks for the input. As far as the other fluids, I don't care too much for the Honda computer system that tells me when to change stuff. I prefer the old style, when the book said when you hit this many miles, change the transmission fluid, etc.

My other vehicle is a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with 225k miles on it, been running Mobile 1 10w30 since the first oil change.

I may just stick with the Honda factory fluids for everything for the time being. Just got to find a service interval for all those fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back