2010 Honda CR-V Wrong Oil? 5W-20 instead of 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
And more importantly, Honda of America has an obligation to take seriously complaints like mine. Right now all they do is document the complaint and have a low-level operator call the dealer manager. Yeah, it does get the dealer's attention, but the ultimate resolution is still between the customer and the dealer. Until you have something like this (to be fair, I had an issue involving a FORD vehicle about 5-6 years ago and they do the same thing), you don't realize that the manufacturer does not really get involved. Like I said above, PERHAPS if enough complaints come in the manufacturer will notice a pattern and take action.

If it was an honest error, no biggie. But as I've stated, it felt like it was business as usual and I was the oddball PITA who actually knew enough to notice the wrong oil. And Honda was happy to look the other way.

Thanks for the support to those of youi who "get it". I'm content to let this thread end here and move on.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Daryll,

I understand your frustration about dealer's mistake in using incorrect oil grade in your new CR-V, they should use 0W20 instead of 5W20. But the mistake is so trivial and they already credit back the cost of oil change. You should just forget about this incident and just tell your daughter be careful when she takes the CR-V to dealer for the next oil change, asking for 0W20 and make sure they use it.

This is why I do my own oil changes. I know what oil goes in the engine. I know what filter goes on the engine. I know that the drain plug is properly torqued, not rounded or stripped. It's my car so I look at the tire pressure, fluid levels, check for leaks, ect. I know that it was done correctly. The bad part is being meticulous with the reciepts and paperwork.

Thanks for the support to those of youi who "get it". I'm content to let this thread end here and move on.
whistle.gif
[/quote]
Those who get it?
Well in that 0W20 is the only approved oil that makes it the "correct" oil and everything else is wrong. The single approved grade gives great clarity in the mind. Right vs wrong.
So you have something there. Yes
But using 5W20 is such a minor issue. It's about as close to nothing as you can get and still be something...
She got a free oil change out it. What other damages are there?

I do all my oil changes myself as well just so I know what is done etc...
The OP doesn't live near his daughter so he doesn't have that option with her car.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: Daryll

YOU TOO,

@Daryll:

The last few posts or so make you think we're seeing the comments of dealer employees who probably are doing the exact same thing that was done with your car. IMPROPER SERVICE!

It doesn't matter what the dealer "feels" like doing, or what price point they think the area will support, as an AUTHORIZED dealer for Honda vehicles and it is THEIR JOB to adhere to Honda guidelines to maintain the vehicle warranty. Sure maybe if the wrong oil is used AHM MIGHT cover it. But what if your receipt has the INCORRECT oil listed on it? Are they still going to "cover it" ...MAYBE NOT. We don't know.

The darn dealer should be using the HONDA specified oil. PERIOD. Nothing else.

If a warranty engine issue showed up and the owner was asked for their oil change records THE REPAIR WOULD BE COVERED REGARDLESS OF GRADE OF OIL USED. I KNOW THIS AS A FACT at least with the 3 Japanese makes I have worked for, I have been in that position as the go between for the customer and the manufacturer and 75% of the time they never ask us what grade was used as long as they have legitimate reciepts for the work done but I have had customers that had recipts from where they worked that used 15w40 HDEO from a fleet maint place in a toyota v6 and a suzuki 4 cly and the manufacturer ALWAYS accepted this without question, They know that no major failure is going to be caused by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back