Honda oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2000 Honda Accord with 108K miles.
I don't think the previous owner kept up with fuild changes.
Engine goes thru oil @ 1qt per 500 miles.
I have been all over the engine and can find no evidence of leaks.
Plugs are normal. No smoke of any kind in exhaust. No oil in distributor or coolant. The only thing I can think of is varnished and seized piston oil control rings.
Any ideas?

It might also be a good idea too take off your valve covers or valve cover if you only have one and take a look inside the valvetrain.

If it is dirty inside the valve cover then there is a product called Schaeffer's Neutra that does a good job of cleaning things up.

Mobil 1 High Mileage and Pennzoil Platinum are very good oil's and seem too do a good job cleaning things up inside the engine.

Check PCV

Is the car smoking? Is there black around the tail pipe? 500/qt is a pretty good amount to be losing. You must never have to change the oil in that thing, only filters!

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the feedback.
I will go over the engine again soon with your ideas in mind.
I'll post any findings.

Thanks

definitely check out the pcv valve, replace it if you don't know when it was replaced... (stick with OEM honda part on this one, I have used Fram PCV before and oil consumption was a bit on higher side) this last oil change I changed to PP and Honda oem PCV.

my honda prelude with h22a4 motor uses some oil but its more on the lighter side considering its a known oil "consumer" lol, I wouldn't call it a burner because no blue smoke at all.

I switched to Pennzoil Platinum on my last oil change (it had GC and Amsoil ASL in the past) and so far with 2500km on it, it hasn't dropped below the full mark (sitting right on the dot, where it was when I had the oil changed)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: atomic_daddy
I bought a 2000 Honda Accord with 108K miles.
I don't think the previous owner kept up with fuild changes.
Engine goes thru oil @ 1qt per 500 miles.
I have been all over the engine and can find no evidence of leaks.
Plugs are normal. No smoke of any kind in exhaust. No oil in distributor or coolant. The only thing I can think of is varnished and seized piston oil control rings.
Any ideas?

No leaks, no smoke. I'd go to the Honda Dealer and get an OEM PCV valve, make sure the line is nice and clear too. I would run a pint of MMO for the last 1000 miles of the OCI, then run a pint for a full OCI to clean things up inside the engine. Honda makes one tough engine and I doubt there is a problem with the engine, other than maybe some sludge and a bad PCV valve. JMO

The only time a Honda should be using THAT much oil is when the mileage can be best described in scientific notation. Yeah, as others have said, replace the PCV valve.

I'm a big fan of Auto-Rx myself as I saw a reduction in oil usage in my '95 Civic (but it only used a pint every 4,000 miles before the treatment) and it still uses virtually zero oil with almost 108K miles on the clock. If you can so afford it, I would snag a couple of Auto-Rx bottles and do the double treatment as they recommend for engines over 100,000 miles.

Just my two cents' worth.

That is high consumption for a Honda.
My '99 w/115K uses almost nothing on 5K changes, as does my '97 154K Honda.
Having corrected any PCV faults, I would try AutoRX. If your problem is stuck rings, it could help. I have used AutoRX on a couple of engines, and it did make a noticeable difference.
Well worth trying instead of either living with high oil consumption, or opening the engine; not a cheap experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back