Honda Odyssey P0303 Misfire

My son's 2016 Odyssey has 82K miles and threw a P0303 code. It uses oil and was low. From doing some cursory research this is caused by the VCM system. I don't want to waste my time replacing all six plugs and this issue returns in a thousand miles. It seems the VCM causes oil consumption fouling out primarily cylinder three plug. Plugs are original NGK iridums and should still be good. Vehicle has had routine and ontime oil changes with Valvoline 0W-20. I found out also that Honda had to settle a class action suit about this problem and granted an eight year warranty.

Two questions.

1. Has anybody here made a warranty claim on their Odyssey and did Honda honor it?
2. Is it useful to disable the VCM?

1670177412886.jpg

Yes, Honda honors their warranties. But they will make you go through an oil consumption test to see if it meets their criteria.

Yes, it is useful to disable the VCM. I use the VCMuzzler on our Pilot and Ridgeline and on a previous Ody. Some have reported that the oil consumption and plug fouling goes away after disabling VCM.

My recommendation would be to get a VCMuzzler, then replace the plugs, and go from there. It may solve the problem. If you decide to go the warranty route be sure and remove the Muzzler before you take it in.

Much, much more detailed information on Odyclub and Piloteers.

Just change the plugs. Even if Honda pays it's not under the tsb. I'm 90 percent sure since it's a 2016 so they are gonna want you to pay upwards of 3k . Most times plugs will get you quite a while ! Also bg has a product they sell that if it doesn't fix it they will pay for the proper repair !!!!

Yes, Honda honors their warranties. But they will make you go through an oil consumption test to see if it meets their criteria.

Yes, it is useful to disable the VCM. I use the VCMuzzler on our Pilot and Ridgeline and on a previous Ody. Some have reported that the oil consumption and plug fouling goes away after disabling VCM.

My recommendation would be to get a VCMuzzler, then replace the plugs, and go from there. It may solve the problem. If you decide to go the warranty route be sure and remove the Muzzler before you take it in.

Much, much more detailed information on Odyclub and Piloteers.
Sort of.

I don’t think the 16’s were included in the warranty extension.

I would just replace the plug and see how long it takes for the issue to reoccur. If it’s relatively quick, the engine will require new rings. Disabling the VCM is too late by this point.

I don’t think the 16’s were included in the warranty extension.

I would just replace the plug and see how long it takes for the issue to reoccur. If it’s relatively quick, the engine will require new rings. Disabling the VCM is too late by this point.

Never too late to disable.

At this point, it will not reverse the issue. It might allow him to go slightly longer before the plug fouls, but once the plug starts fouling, it is re-ring time.

Reverse? No.
Keep it from getting worse? Absolutely.

Back