Honda Noise-reducing Wheels?

I was installing new tires on a 2015 Honda Accord, and was surprised by what the inside of the wheel looked like. I had never seen or heard of anything like it before and didn't know what the big black plastic things were stuck to the wheels, and the strange rim profile Turns out it is a noise cancelling resonator they came up with the lower the tire noise some Honda's are known for.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 119
Weird. I always thought the tire noise was related to the tread riding on the pavement, and the sound of it traversing bumps and holes. Wonder how that's mitigated from the inside.

Surprised to see the sound dampening ring only on one side, which could cause an imbalance. I suppose it is that way to interrupt the sound wave. Maybe the ring is light enough that it has a minimal effect on balance?

Surprised to see the sound dampening ring only on one side, which could cause an imbalance. I suppose it is that way to interrupt the sound wave. Maybe the ring is light enough that it has a minimal effect on balance?
It appears to be made of a hollow plastic structure (not much weight).
Any weight imbalance can be addressed by wheel weights.

Ok, some tech on this:

Noise isn't generated INSIDE the air chamber, but the air chamber does act as an amplifier - sort like the box on an acoustic guitar.

Adding a noise damping device - usually foam - reduces the echo effect.

Also, it's possible that the location of the inserts is such that it dampens certain sensitive frequencies with only a little out of balance and weight added.

So look at the tread on your tires, see how some blocks are bigger than others?

If they were all the same size that tire would whine at one frequency something wicked.

Now this is obviously completely different, but the alternating presence and absence of that blob must be beneficial.

If I still worked at a tire store I'd bring the rim to the customer and tell them the gov't was tracking them. :alien:

Interesting that they put the two blocks next to each other rather than on opposite ends. They look moveable too :unsure:

Back