Finally drove my daughter's new 2022 CIVIC

The only thing about the Accord or Civic in their “LX” trim that I am not a fan of is, that in this “LX” trim line, there is no split folding rear seat back where most of the competition gives you that in every trim.

Seen a few of the new ones on the road, they look nice. My gf has a '19 1.5Turbonium. Nice lil car for her & drives better than I thought it would so I'm sure that '22 is quite the ride

Last edited:
Now Honda doesn't. have a small car anymore,

Doing it's Civic duty, but abandoning the kids with the "mother lady" size and style.
But, It should be at the top of a midzided sedan shoping list - if it has a stick.

Funny by contrast, My first Accord was pretty dang small - and s-l-o-w .
hondaccordaddrawBlue1982.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up. I really never like the looks of the back end of the 2016 and newer Civic. Honda nailed it correctly with the 2022 styling. For a couple more thousand you can get the Sport model with larger tires and black magnesium wheels and a few other enhancements. I might go with that model when my 2012 gets retired. I did drive a 2017 Honda Civic LX and thought it was very quick and the mileage was better than my 2012 Civic. I think Honda will sell a lot of this 2022 model and I think they look kind of like the BMW 3 series. Around here I can get a brand new LX for a little over $22,000 which isn't bad for a new Honda. I truly believe the new Civic will be very reliable if you buy the 2.0 engine without the turbo. I am a little afraid of the 1.5 with the fuel dilution issues. It's not worth it to me for only a couple miles per gallon and a few extra horsepower. The 2.0 has all the power you need. The base is 158 HP and the turbo is 180HP.

Consumers Reports says:

... But full-throttle acceleration still results in the rubber banding sensation—where the engine’s revs seem disproportionately high compared to the acceleration—that CVTs have long been knocked for. ....
I have been thinking about this, and engineers have had enough time to refine the software to eliminate this issue. Now I think in many cases they want it to operate that way. Instead of loading the drive train lower onto the torque curve and managing the pulleys at full torque output say across a 4500-6000 rpm range. Programming that action may lead accelerated wear of the mechanism and associated parts. I am surprised to not hear about piggy back programming of the EC-CVT. Maybe it exists but I have not dug for it.
Many times on our nissan and subaru it feels as though the converter would unlocked at WOT, also. That may not actually be the case; it may just be ECU engine management at WOT giving that sensation. I know our subaru locked its "mini converter" just past walking speed and doesn't look back at most throttle opening other than possibly wide open. This gives a good sensation i normal driving of a good and complete mechanical connexion along with concomitant improved fuel savings.

I'm sure they did program it that way. Full throttle means you want maximum acceleration so maximum power is required. For a non-turbo 4 cylinder it'll be around 6000 to 7000 rpm, while a turbo typically makes max power around 5500 RPM. That'll make a difference in the rubber band feeling already, even with the same power output.

I'm sure the new Civics are great cars, I just can't stand the looks of them. The last good looking Civics were the '06-'11 models IMO...they just keep getting uglier and uglier...

I don't think Honda Civics "keep getting uglier and uglier". It seems more like a cyclical thing, every few years Honda swings into their "wouldn't it be great to drive a spaceship?" look and then a year or two later they go back to "here's a nice car for you to drive" and I won't be surprised when they do it all over again.

But right now, with the 2022 model, it's just a nice car.

I'm 2000 miles into ownership of a 2022 Civic SI, so far I'm enjoying both sides of its personality: 38 MPG cruising during my 3-times-a-month commute from Huntsville Alabama to Atlanta Georgia, and "sporty" acceleration and handling in my around town and suburbs driving.

PXL_20220104_172811152.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about oil for this new Civic has brought me back to BobistheOilGuy after a while away (it was nice to log in with the old name and password from years ago).

I've found myself back in the Honda world after a few years away, my last Honda was a 2010 Acura TL SH AWD which I purchased for my now-ex-wife. In between I drove a FIAT Abarth which I loved. Unfortunately the Abarth was totalled in October by a very large Georgia deer.

PXL_20211020_212501534.jpg

I ran the Abarth on Red Line oil, the correct blend for the car was 5w40. The little 1.4 turbo engine in yhe Abarth is notorious for using oil, but my Abarth was one of the good ones and never used any oil during its 70,000 mile lifetime.

Now I'm wondering what sort of oil to use in my new SI.

^^^YUP!
However, since her 2015 was totaled(rear ended) and she does in fact prefer as few(er) features than just more stuff. Also money is, well, not really an issue but not justified for more performance in a car and the fact that she needed a car NOW(not tomorrow) when there are few to be had.

I'd easily take the 2.0L over the 1.5T. I don't need more power when a 158hp is plenty. I don't need BOOST!😁
Not to spend more money to get it, more money on insurance and possibly less reliable.

She looked at Mazda3's again as she owned and loved her 2006 Mazda3i, However it was the Civic that was available RIGHT NOW/TODAY, not in 2 or 3 months. She would have definitely overpaid for a used car at this point and she did well $$$ on the new 2022. She could have gone either way with the Civic or Mazda3 but is thrilled with this new Civic. JUST THRILLED! 🥰

All of us in our family, like CVTs and have no issues with them thus far. We know that the car is equipped with a CVT but, we don't even know it's there...so to speak. They just go about their business for our driving. No one in my family is all that aggressive of a driver. We just drive like everyone else on the road in the "everyday-ness".
Sounds reasonable.

I’ve had good experiences with Honda products, and have been satisfied with our recent Honda cars. Our accord has shown rust on fasteners that shouldn’t show rust, but our odyssey, which sees the same conditions, doesn’t. Weird.

I like the consistency of the vehicles, and ours have been reliable.

I agree with her sentiment to not need as many fancy things.

That’s a great looking car, I drove the civics in 2020 when I got my accord and liked them as well but ended up getting a 2019 accord for cheaper than a 2020 civic, still wonder sometimes if I made the right choice. i will say the Hondas are a breeze to do maintenance on and from what I’ve heard from a few friends with the 2.0 it’s a great engine, the 1.5t has been good to me too.

^^^You'll be fine. Accords are a grant car and you definitely got the better car IMO. I am more of an Accord guy than a Civic guy.

I meant to say that Accords are great(not grant). And they are GREAT cars. I especially like the lower trim line as I feel you get the best value with them. I just wish Honda would give a split fold down rear seat in the lower trim levels. I don't use it often but I want it to split.

Thinking about oil for this new Civic has brought me back to BobistheOilGuy after a while away (it was nice to log in with the old name and password from years ago).

I've found myself back in the Honda world after a few years away, my last Honda was a 2010 Acura TL SH AWD which I purchased for my now-ex-wife. In between I drove a FIAT Abarth which I loved. Unfortunately the Abarth was totalled in October by a very large Georgia deer.

View attachment 86244

I ran the Abarth on Red Line oil, the correct blend for the car was 5w40. The little 1.4 turbo engine in yhe Abarth is notorious for using oil, but my Abarth was one of the good ones and never used any oil during its 70,000 mile lifetime.

Now I'm wondering what sort of oil to use in my new SI.
Maybe Fix It Again Tony?

I've had a few Hondas and the common complaint from me is road noise, seats aren't that good, brakes and the swelling lug nuts from rust under the silver cap. If they've got that sorted they are great cars.

I meant to say that Accords are great(not grant). And they are GREAT cars. I especially like the lower trim line as I feel you get the best value with them. I just wish Honda would give a split fold down rear seat in the lower trim levels. I don't use it often but I want it to split.
Do a search and see if its just swapping a couple things from a car at the wreckers? Its been a couple years so there should be a few of them in there now.

Do a search and see if its just swapping a couple things from a car at the wreckers? Its been a couple years so there should be a few of them in there now.
I don't own an Accord nor a Honda currently. I was just sayin'. I have owned them in the past and this was a complaint of mine.
And it'd be more work than it's worth.

I can't stand the rear ends on the new Civics. Too much going on to the point of being gaudy looking. The last good looking Civics IMO were the '06-'11 models. Since then they've just gotten uglier. Civics used to be the better looking car between it and the Corolla, but now it's the other way around...

Back