Honda MTF vs Amsoil XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...long story short, a quick lube place (rarely ever go to them) put in Amsoil XL 5w30 for the 05 Accord. I've been using Amsoil MTF for the last 100k miles.

The Honda manual does state that a 10w30 or 10w40 can be used as a temp. replacement. I told the guy afterward that it was not the right fluid and that the manual says to use only Honda MTF or equivalent. The guy responded and said "Mike if I had every specific fluid for every car on the road I'd be a warehouse." LOL!! He makes a valid point. However, I'm not about to risk my transmission because he used the wrong fluid.

So would XL work ok? He did the job for $25. I could buy the Honda Fluid and he would put it in free of charge.

Amsoil MTF would have been the correct product. It has the correct friction modifiers for a manual transmission for the best operation.

Consider the Amsoil XL to be a quick flush.
wink.gif

He should have asked you first.
The motor oil is more of an emergency substitute, not best by any reasoning.
IMO, not much is lower on the Totem Pole than motor oil in a manual tranny.

Ok, thanks. I wonder how many other cars he is using the wrong fluids in? HA!

I would pony up for the Honda or Amsoil MTF and watch him put it in there for "free". Your synchronizers, gears, and bearings will thank you with longer life and better shifting.

I agree. I will make sure he puts it in there or there will be a big scene @ Grease N Go. lol

At least he's using Amsoiland not a generic no name bulk universal ATF.
of all places, autozone sells an "universal" atf. in fine print, it's for topping off, NOT for refills. nice.

API SM/GF4 GroupIII motor oil is lot a better than what we used in manual transmission a decade or 2 ago that required 30 or 40 weight motor oil.

As long as shift quality is good, I would run the fluid 20k-30k and switch back to the Amsoil MTF, Redline MTL, or BG Syncro-ShiftII.

If you feel that shift quality degraded, than get an MTF and change it out. "5w" would probably shift better cold than most MTL/F's when cold. It'll also probably shear more so don't push the interval.

Just had him put the Honda MTF fluid in. What a difference! Shifting is significantly better than the Amsoil XL, as it should be. The main difference is in the friction modification and shear stability.

The Honda fluid is good stuff. The guy did not have any of the Amsoil MTF on him so I picked up the Honda fluid last night. Worth it.

You are pretty mellow. That would have frosted my cookies.

I like the flush POV. Decent cleaning oil, run and done. Still. Arrggh......

There is probably some poor schmuck customer of this weasel going "The thing shifts like poop and it's because of Amsoil!!"

Good point. He is using the wrong fluid on who knows how many cars. He flat out told me that most people never look at their owners manuals. The correct Amsoil fluid is the MTF, which works great. I've used it for the last 80k miles or so.

The guy was really nice, so I didn't get too angry about it. I'm just glad I put the right fluid in. Shifting is so much better now. I forgot what it's supposed to feel like.

I run Honda MTF in my 03 S2K trans.I have tried many trans fluids and find (IMO) that it shifts the best for me.I run Amsoil Severe Gear in the diff.

I run Amsoil trans & diff fluids in my 96 Mits & 02 Z06.

\rv85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back