Honda K24 bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i have a question about my accord 2.4. i read somewhere online that the k20 had rod bearing issues because of how thin they were..i was wondering if my k24 had the same small rod bearings??? i do like to rev it up now and then...Should i avoid doing that? i know the k24 is a good engine but does it have thin rod bearings??? i cant find info on the k24 rod bearings online so i was hoping somebody on here might know.

anybody??? someone that could share some info about this engine?? especially concerning the engine bearings

I do not know if the k24 has thin bearings, but I can tell you that I have not had any problems with the k24s (not even the dreaded piston slap) in either my CR-V or my '03 Accord. In addition, there seems to be a lot of evidence (both anecdotal and empirical) that the k24 is a very durable engine, capable of 200000+ miles with proper maintenance. Looking at your mileage, please allow me to make a suggestion: Do the 110,000 mile tune up on the engine, including a valve adjustment and water pump replacement. I have read that failure to adjust the valves can result in burnt exhaust valves. I would definitely purchase another Honda with the k24; I do not know anything about the new DI 2.4 litre. I can only hope that the redesign will not result in reduced reliability.

Originally Posted By: z917990
I do not know if the k24 has thin bearings, but I can tell you that I have not had any problems with the k24s (not even the dreaded piston slap) in either my CR-V or my '03 Accord. In addition, there seems to be a lot of evidence (both anecdotal and empirical) that the k24 is a very durable engine, capable of 200000+ miles with proper maintenance. Looking at your mileage, please allow me to make a suggestion: Do the 110,000 mile tune up on the engine, including a valve adjustment and water pump replacement. I have read that failure to adjust the valves can result in burnt exhaust valves. I would definitely purchase another Honda with the k24; I do not know anything about the new DI 2.4 litre. I can only hope that the redesign will not result in reduced reliability.

Aren't most honda engines capable of that kind of mileage? As long as you keep adjusting the valves and changing timing belts?

Machining the crank or stronger aftermarket rods like the Manley H-Beam 4340 rods are another possibility depending on the engine series.
There is a lot of ways to skin a cat. You need a good crank man for this sort of work.

The engine his car will routine run 200K miles without him doing anything except oil changes at reasonable interval. Worrying about thickness of bearing almost seems like worrying about a comet hitting the earth in next few centuries.

I certainly did not get the feeling that he is planning to put new rods anytime soon. He also asked about longevity of this engine and was told by multiple people that the engine would outlast the rest of the car. However, not still convinced he is now asking if the engine came with "thin bearings".

Honda has designed some of the stuff badly. They have history of screwing some stuff. I am not going to give any examples. However, K24 engine grenading because of the "thin bearings" is not something that I have heard.

Chill out....it was just a question, sorry im not as knowledgeable as you thats why i was asking. I do all short trips and oil doesnt lubricate well on a cold start/short trip. and again thats the only driving i do. so i was worried it would affect the bearings, and since i read that the k20 had thin bearings and had issues spinning bearings and since the k24 has the same bottom end i was worried that that might happen to me. So forgive me please.

Suppose it does have very thin bearings. What exactly will you do to make them thick?

well i might consider getting a different car if it was an issue because i am planning on keeping the car to 200K. but after reading the bearings spin i was concerned

Originally Posted By: gregk24
i do like to rev it up now and then...Should i avoid doing that?

What are you talking about? Free revving or under load driving?

That's no problem for this engine. I thought you might be free revving the daylights out of it. Don't sweat it the rod bearings will take that kind of driving.

strange question..sorry for all the questions...but once...ONLY ONCE...before i knew it was bad...i raced someone on a dead cold engine, the oil had time to circulate but the engine was cold and i went WOT...did i do any damage???

Originally Posted By: gregk24
strange question..sorry for all the questions...but once...ONLY ONCE...before i knew it was bad...i raced someone on a dead cold engine, the oil had time to circulate but the engine was cold and i went WOT...did i do any damage???

No. It's fine. If you did damage you would have known it pretty quick.
Racing that car is funny to say the least.

I seriously doubt it. Engines are not that fragile, it not a good practice but they are not that easy to damage. I wouldn't give it another thought.

Racing that car is funny to say the least.

Lol. I know i wasnt really racing...i know this isnt a sports car, but it is fun to drive...I was just leaving work and a co worker pulled up beside me in his truck and he wanted to go (he thinks hes all that) anyway i went wot and wooped him. again, i dont race my car. i baby it if anything. Minus the occasional spirited burst onto the freeway. But I think its good to let it rev up every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back