Honda GX120 plate compactor - no fuel flow to carb bowl

I'm getting ready to do site work / slab prep for a new workshop and a buddy from work let me use his plate compactor, with the caveat that it won't stay running. Basically if I can get it to run, I can use it as much as I need to.

It's a Dynapac with a Honda GX120 engine. I started testing things-- good spark, compression, but carb float bowl is completely dry even with fuel shutoff valve open. I took the carb off and disassembled it, and inside what appears to be small secondary bowl (where the fuel comes in), was a TON of what looked liked dried / caked together sawdust. Long story short, the fuel shut-off assembly and that small bowl was clogged solid with this sawdust-looking material.

I've attached an image of what I'm talking about. It looks like perhaps a fuel filter might sit in the bowl, but I have no idea. I cleaned everything out with pipe cleaners, compressed air & carb cleaner and got the thing running again. But I'm curious what the "sawdust" substance might be and what the purpose is of that little bowl since there was nothing in it but that hardened substance...

carb.jpg

The small bowl is to catch large debris or drops of water that come down the line. After running a while, take the small bowl off and if there is more solid stuff in it you may need to clean out the gas tank.

Back