Honda GCV170 motor

I’m considering buying a Honda HRN mower but see a lot of articles about the motor surging, automatic choke issues, and clogging carburetor jets. Is this engine problematic? I’m not looking to buy a headache

The autochoke system can be occasionally problematic, but the offending part is only like $10 for the Thermo Wax Assy. I've not had this issue yet. No motor surging or carb issues yet. I run ethanol free fuel that's treated in mine since new. Keep fresh fuel in it and the occasional oil change and you'll be set for problem free ownership for years!

i have fixed a few of them with surging . its usually the emulsion tube gets corroded due to gas being left too long in it. pop it out and clean with a fine wire and that usually fixes it. if not , aftermarket carbs are cheap.

I had one and it started and ran fine. Only problem was it was a walk behind self-propelled and it ran so fast and pulled so hard I had to sprint to keep up with it.

Gave it to my son and got a more sedate Troy Built self-propelled.

1647812736630.jpg

I had one and it started and ran fine. Only problem was it was a walk behind self-propelled and it ran so fast and pulled so hard I had to sprint to keep up with it.

Gave it to my son and got a more sedate Troy Built self-propelled.

View attachment 93444
I've used a Honda HRX - it's a nice mower, but it's like the mower controls me instead of me controlling it. That's why I went with a Toro Super Recycler with Personal Pace.

The newer HRN models with the self-paced style is leaps beyond the old styles. I have no problems with mine staying at my pace, and even the angle of the push system is adjustable to your comfort...

Any clean oil will allow the engine to outlast the deck. 10w30 is fine.

Here is what matters more than anything else........air cooled engines burn oil, regardless of how good and crisp the engine is. So with that said these need to be operated with oil at the full mark. So dont wait for it to go down and then add. Keep it topped off. I have had a lot of these engines opened up and it seems the only spot that wears is the upper crankshaft journal.

Also the GVC160 and GVC190s would have a cheap air filter lid fall off and cause the cylinders to wear out.

Its worth mentioning this, the carburetors are all coming quite lean out of the box. If right away you experiance a slight surging then you will need to drill the main jet just a bit to richen it up. Otherwise fresh ethanol free gas will go a long way in keeping this engine trouble free.

Any clean oil will allow the engine to outlast the deck. 10w30 is fine.

Here is what matters more than anything else........air cooled engines burn oil, regardless of how good and crisp the engine is. So with that said these need to be operated with oil at the full mark. So dont wait for it to go down and then add. Keep it topped off. I have had a lot of these engines opened up and it seems the only spot that wears is the upper crankshaft journal.

Also the GVC160 and GVC190s would have a cheap air filter lid fall off and cause the cylinders to wear out.

Its worth mentioning this, the carburetors are all coming quite lean out of the box. If right away you experiance a slight surging then you will need to drill the main jet just a bit to richen it up. Otherwise fresh ethanol free gas will go a long way in keeping this engine trouble free.
All good points - let me add to the part about drilling the main jet though.. A little bit goes a very long ways! Depending on the beginning diameter, .001" to. 003" is usually all that's needed. Do the math for starting area of a circle and start by increasing 5%

+1 yes you are correct. I have overdrilled them before and there is no going back.......
Well you can dig yourself back of that hole if you're crafty. You'd need to know the starting diameter of the hole, then plug it shut with some solder and re-drill... Ask me how I know 😂

My neighbor who’s a landscaper has the 170 for two years now and loves it. My 160 has been strong for 14 years. When the time comes I’m going with the 170.

Back