GCV160 Automatic Choke - Need Thermowax

I got this mower last year for free because it wouldn't start well. Just a little toot of the good stuff and it usually fires off. It would surge a LOT. I was told the carburetor gasket was broken due to the carburetor accidentally being removed during a filter change (no idea..).

It definitely was. I fixed that and noticed that the armature for the choke was stuck. Freed that up but as soon as I would put the choke mechanism back on, it would get pushed open. Looks like the thermowax - had to look that whole thing up - has failed and is causing the choke to stick open.

It runs good now with a new carb gasket. Just doesn't like to start cold.

I'm afraid of grabbing one on fleabay or the jungle store because all I ever seem to get is knock off parts from there.

Last edited:
I usually buy the Honda part from ebay. You can find small engine dealers selling genuine parts online. I'd go to the Honda dealer but the nearest Honda equipment dealer is quite a ride.

I usually buy the Honda part from ebay. You can find small engine dealers selling genuine parts online. I'd go to the Honda dealer but the nearest Honda equipment dealer is quite a ride.
The closest Honda powersports dealer we have isn't interested in lawnmower engines unfortunately.

Honda just had someone else make that part (badly). Why is getting an OEM replacement for the OEM one that failed considered a good idea?

Back