Honda GC160 gas or water in oil?

Recently bought a used pressure washer off a family friend. It's got a Honda GC160 engine. Couldn't get it to start, and I wound up having to replace the cam gear. Got it running good, starts up on the first pull now.

The oil that was in it was looking pretty bad, so I only ran the engine for 5 minutes and then changed the oil. This is how the old oil looked when it came out.

YIe1AcD.jpg

Got fresh oil in, ran for another 5 minutes...and it looks like this.

aGRZXzZ.jpg

The oil smells a bit like gas, so I was thinking that gas was leaking into the oil. I was getting some gas into the air filter too. I pulled the carb off and checked the fuel need and float. It looks to be in good shape, and seals correctly when I tested it with some gas. I also used some extra fuel line to blow into it and it sealed fine. Everything was super clean in the carb, no varnish or gunk anywhere. Still haven't gotten it back together yet, but how else could I be getting gas into the oil? Or could this be caused by water in the oil?

Last edited:
Looks to me like water, not gas, and if somehow there was water in the first oil, you would not have gotten it all out just draining the oil. Try changing it again. What does it look like before running with new oil? This IS an air-cooled engine isn't it??

Looks to me like water, not gas, and if somehow there was water in the first oil, you would not have gotten it all out just draining the oil. Try changing it again. What does it look like before running with new oil? This IS an air-cooled engine isn't it??
I'll change it again then. Yes it is an air cooled engine, but if it's water than perhaps a seal is leaking between the pump(pressure washer) and engine.

What do you mean but what does it look like before running with new oil? The new oil looked like new oil until I ran it for the 5 minutes. Thanks for the reply!

Unless he sprayed the engine with the wand its probably gas. there could have been a bit of trash stuck on the needle or the float could have gotten stuck just a little and let the engine flood or he could have spent allot of time pulling it with the choke on trying to get it started. That would spew gas out the air cleaner and pollute the oil.

Edit: most of the time when I have seen water in oil it turns milky with lighter streaks in it.

Maybe somebody pressure washed the pressure washer!
These things operate under very wet conditions. Just keep the water away from the engine and it should be fine.

Unless he sprayed the engine with the wand its probably gas. there could have been a bit of trash stuck on the needle or the float could have gotten stuck just a little and let the engine flood or he could have spent allot of time pulling it with the choke on trying to get it started. That would spew gas out the air cleaner and pollute the oil.

Edit: most of the time when I have seen water in oil it turns milky with lighter streaks in it.

I think you might be right on with spending a lot of time trying to get it to start with the choke on. The guy I bought it from said that they had a really hard time starting it(and who knows how many times they pulled the chord), and I pulled the chord myself maybe 20-30 times when I was trying to get it to start.

Now with the new cam gear it fires right up but there might have been a lot of residual oil/gas inside the crankcase that also polluted the new oil. I got it back together just now, I'll change the oil again like stangguy said, run it and see how it looks. If it goes grey again I'll change it one more time.

Recently bought a used pressure washer off a family friend. It's got a Honda GC160 engine. Couldn't get it to start, and I wound up having to replace the cam gear. Got it running good, starts up on the first pull now.

The oil that was in it was looking pretty bad, so I only ran the engine for 5 minutes and then changed the oil. This is how the old oil looked when it came out.

YIe1AcD.jpg

Got fresh oil in, ran for another 5 minutes...and it looks like this.

aGRZXzZ.jpg

The oil smells a bit like gas, so I was thinking that gas was leaking into the oil. I was getting some gas into the air filter too. I pulled the carb off and checked the fuel need and float. It looks to be in good shape, and seals correctly when I tested it with some gas. I also used some extra fuel line to blow into it and it sealed fine. Everything was super clean in the carb, no varnish or gunk anywhere. Still haven't gotten it back together yet, but how else could I be getting gas into the oil? Or could this be caused by water in the oil?
I think you may have too much oil in the mower. You measure the oil level Without screwing the dip stick in. Hope this helps.

Oil level should be at the bottom of the threads, so it looks good to me. Try changing the oil again to see if the colour improves.

Same here, I have a gcv160 and the first few changes it came out grey but overtime it should eventually clear itself out.

There is something about Honda ohc engines that makes the first few oil changes come out an odd milky color. Seen it on three different engines i have used.

That's reassuring, I was told that the pressure washer has been used maybe 10 times, and is probably 10-15 years old. It probably still had the original oil in it. I also found this thread from 2006 discussing this as well: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...mower-oil-after-5-hours-trust-me.36942/page-2

It seems that it might be caused by normal engine wear during break in?

Anyways, I changed the oil twice more this evening. I ran it for a good 5 minutes after each change and after the second change it's looking promising. The oil has a grey tint to it still but looks clear on the dipstick and clear on paper towel. No gas smell anymore either.

It seems that 10-15 year old oil+break in metals+gas=bad though. In the bottom of the container that the original oil was drained into is a thicker soup that didn't pour out when I dumped the oil. I ran a magnet through this and am getting a decent amount of fine metal shavings. The sludge at the bottom of this container is seems almost magnetic. I take it that this wouldn't be an example of a normal amount of metal from an engine breaking in?

ztqIHFU.jpg

Last edited:
That's most likely it, the oil comes out grey and may appear to have some glitter in it, I've read numerous posts on this issue with these Honda engines, the general consensus is that it's leeching out of the aluminum which changes the appearance of the oil and to just change it more frequently to help clean it out but shouldn't really hurt anything.

That one looks like it's never had an oil change.

Last edited:
Oil level should be at the bottom of the threads, so it looks good to me. Try changing the oil again to see if the colour improves.

Correct oil level on a Honda, and every other one I ever owned is at the top of the threads not the bottom - just before it starts running out.

1633209835872.jpeg

I ran my new Kohler powered pressure washer for an hour and a half this week before changing the oil - I thought it looked sort of gray.

1633210276185.jpeg

Sorry, what I meant was, at the highest point of the lower part of the threads, if that makes sense. You seemed to have gotten correctly regardless. I never use the level indicator, anyways. As you said, just before it spills out, is just right.

I see exactly what you meant now!

My issue with the way the oil level is determined -- is you fill it when cold - then if you try and check it after 5 hours of running it leaks all over - so I need to open it just enough so I can see oil start to drip then close it.

I check mine cold and forget about it.
I ran my Honda generator for 60 hours straight - I stopped it to fill up the gas tank after 10 or so hours with another 8-10 planned before I stopped to change the oil.

No way the little voice in my head would have allowed me to restart the engine without checking the oil.

Unscrew the dip stick. Reinsert dip stick but don’t screw it in. That’s how you check oil on the Honda. My 160 is 13 years old, lawnmower and it’s never looked that bad.

Back