Honda Factory Filter cut open

This filter run ~4100 mi., one year on 3.5L engine. Topic is an A02, ime same filter sold by most dealers. As expected nothing surprising, remarkable. Replaced with Bosch Premium 3323 and Magnatec 0w20.
P1020252.JPGP1020251.JPGP1020253.JPG

Looks good. Always liked that old ford blue like color they use. So 1 year took 4100 miles, not a daily?

Looks fine; no real reason to think it would be otherwise.

Oh, and fiber end caps. I always enjoy pointing out brands which use fiber end caps, because, well let's be honest, some folks would heap vitriol on this filter if it was that "other" brand for having "cardboard". Fiber end caps don't bother me at all; I've used them plenty and never had an issue.

Looks fine; no real reason to think it would be otherwise.

Oh, and fiber end caps. I always enjoy pointing out brands which use fiber end caps, because, well let's be honest, some folks would heap vitriol on this filter if it was that "other" brand for having "cardboard". Fiber end caps don't bother me at all; I've used them plenty and never had an issue.
Wix has a few filters with fiber end caps. IIRC Filtech was the same for a time, if not still.
It's not a problem in the real world. Extra media available to filter oil.

My 2¢

My favorite thing is when people are like "paper/cardboard end caps BAD" and I explain to them that they are made of fiber just like the filter media on the filters they often times praise to no end by comparison. So if end caps are made of fiber are bad, why is filter media made of fiber not bad?

My favorite thing is when people are like "paper/cardboard end caps BAD" and I explain to them that they are made of fiber just like the filter media on the filters they often times praise to no end by comparison. So if end caps are made of fiber are bad, why is filter media made of fiber not bad?
One person stated their opinion of this in the past, someone else repeated it, and it's become internet fact / legend / fallacy since then.

'Imo' the topic A02 is a serviceable filter. If one prefers using OEM, then it will work for you.

Otoh, for $8+ from the local dealer is it a filter I would specifically seek out? No. Likely available for less if bought in bulk online (6or> filters), I don't buy in bulk. Even if I did, A02 would not be my first choice.

Last edited:
Back