Honda factory brake pads GG-rated

I'm researching front pads for my 2013 Pilot. The factory pads are GG-rated while the standard aftermarket offerings are FF-rated. Advics is the OEM but even their aftermarket offering is FF.

I don't know much friction ratings. Can someone please educate me on / explain what the rating difference here would entail on a soccer mom vehicle like the Pilot?

Last edited:
I'm researching front pads for my 2013 Pilot. The factory pads are GG-rated while the standard aftermarket offerings are FF-rated. Advics is the OEM but even their aftermarket offering is FF.

I don't know much friction ratings. Can someone please educate me on / explain what the rating difference here would entail on a soccer mom vehicle like the Pilot?
Irrelevant. I use on track EE-rated pads sometimes.
Honda started to acquire OE pads recently from ATE, which is a huge step up.

But, in the end, you will get a ceramic pad that is softer, not so aggressive in braking.
WOrry more about rotors; those are absolute junk on Honda.

It's Friction coefficient related in accordance to SAE J866 standard

First letter relates to low temperature (200°F to 400°F) and second letter relates to high temperature (300°F to 650°F) (usually in the region of pad fade resistance for street pads)

Last edited:
Pay no attention to it. It's not a specification that is important. If you look at, for example, Raybestos in their brake pad detail/lookup, it's not a spec they even list. It's not even on the boxes of pads, you have to look on the edge of the pads to find the stamp.

But, in the end, you will get a ceramic pad that is softer, not so aggressive in braking.
This. I've owned two hondas and always had the rotors warp.

Depends on the driving profile. Anything bit more aggressive, they are absolute junk.
They are grossly undersized to limit unsprung weight and bump mpg. Same on Toyota.
My last Honda a 2007 Accord SE had 386000 on it with the original rotors and no vibration or pulsing or warping and it brakes fine.. In the past I always use OEM Honda pads that come with everthing you need to install them...Usually get around 70 to 80 thou on a set of front pads...

My last Honda a 2007 Accord SE had 386000 on it with the original rotors and no vibration or pulsing or warping and it brakes fine.. In the past I always use OEM Honda pads that come with everthing you need to install them...Usually get around 70 to 80 thou on a set of front pads...
Accord is different than Pilot. Simply, there isn’t enough brakes for that weight. Plus, heat dissipation channels are not designed very well.

Agree but it is also how you drive too...
You make brakes fitting profile of the driver. Most soccer moms are always on the brakes.
Problem, AGAIN, is that there isn’t enough brake on Pilot. Rotors are too small to gain mpg. Less unsprung weight=better mpg.

friction coefficient !== braking performance.

That said, while OE pads won’t rock the boat, they also won’t cause issues like some higher-rated aftermarket pads can. Installed GF/FG rated Wagner and Centric on a few cars and while feel was fine(maybe a touch firmer than OE), it just wasn’t worth the noise and grabbiness when wet.

The ratings are valid among quality brands, Period, end of story.

The idea that an EE pad is a race worthy pad must be tempered with vehicle weight, rotor size, speeds and so on. It is utter nonsense to think that a properly rated EE pad will provide a good result, when compared to a GG rated pad, while under heavy stress, on a heavy vehicle with undersized rotors.

That is a sure-fire way to have brake fade when you need them the most.

I absolutely LOVE the Wagner Thermoquiet GG rated pads on my Jag. They are not just good, they flat out ROCK.

Last edited:
Pay no attention to it. It's not a specification that is important. If you look at, for example, Raybestos in their brake pad detail/lookup, it's not a spec they even list. It's not even on the boxes of pads, you have to look on the edge of the pads to find the stamp.
I find the ratings to be very important, especially when targeting a specific driving need. Pedal feel and brake performance is important to me.

What rotors do you like for Pilots? The 19 Pilot needs new ones to fix the pulsing brake feel at 89k miles. I replaced them with OEM at 15k miles for the same issue. Willing to try something other than OEM for better results.

What rotors do you like for Pilots? The 19 Pilot needs new ones to fix the pulsing brake feel at 89k miles. I replaced them with OEM at 15k miles for the same issue. Willing to try something other than OEM for better results.
Brembo makes a consumer grade rotor for most vehicles, that is good quality.

Back