Honda CVT HCF 2 Fluid non oem fluids

2017 CRV is going to be out of warranty in about a month . has 48k miles on it. i want to change the CVT fluid . it should take around 4 qts. The oem fluid is not cheap at around $12 to $16 a quart depending on where its purchased.

There are some less expensive alternatives out there these days and seeing it not going to be in warranty anymore am thinking of trying it. i have tried stuff like maxlife multi in other vehicles and have not had any issues.

with this CVT , anyone put non oem fluid in the Honda CVT ? How did it work?

Last edited:
I just serviced my friend's 2019 CR-V EX-L with 30K. I used the Honda stuff; it wasn't too bad on Amazon.
I have used Castrol and Valvoline on a high mileage Nissan Altima with excellent results.

Perhaps check Honda forums as well as BITOG.
Good luck.

Reactions: hrv
Valvoline CVT fluid is good and widely available :)

I've used Amalie CVT on a 2013 Accord with no problems. Amalie also makes the house brand stuff for Autozone and AAP. All of these are amber in color like the Honda HCF-2. Valvoline is also amber.

Castrol CVT is red, but there is nothing wrong with it.

On my 2017 Accord Sport, I did a drain and refill with hcf-2 at around 30K miles (bought it used with 29K miles). I started looking around for different cvt fluids and see Castrol, valvoline but I ultimately settled on Asmoil universal cvt fluid, bought a case and had it shipped to me.

At 32K mikes I did a 3X drain and refill with the amsoil cvt fluid with a 12 mile or so drive between changes. (yes I know I just did a drain/refill 2000 miles prior) I know Amsoil makes some good fluids and wanted a “better” fluid. I have a little over 61K miles on the car and in a month or less will do a drain and refill with 4 more quarts of Amsoil cvt fluid and will send it off to get analyzed just because.

In hindsight, I probably should have just stuck with the Honda fluid, as I will be doing 25-30K ish mile intervals and the Honda fluid is readily available at any Honda dealership and $40-50 every 2 or 3 years isn’t that big a deal. With the amsoil I will have to order it etc…. I was going to bump it up to 50K mile intervals but after messaging a long time knowledgeable member he recommended 25-30K mile intervals so that is what I am going to be going with.

I did a 3X drain and refill with Castrol cvt fluid in my wife’s 2015 Altima and have had no issues with that fluid either. I did hers at 50K mikes and will do a drain and refill on hers this summer too. The Castrol is readily available at most auto parts stores. I probably would have been ok with that as well in my accord.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably just stick with either oem fluid or something that is at the auto parts store

2017 CRV is going to be out of warranty in about a month . has 48k miles on it. i want to change the CVT fluid . it should take around 4 qts. The oem fluid is not cheap at around $12 to $16 a quart depending on where its purchased.

There are some less expensive alternatives out there these days and seeing it not going to be in warranty anymore am thinking of trying it. i have tried stuff like maxlife multi in other vehicles and have not had any issues.

with this CVT , anyone put non oem fluid in the Honda CVT ? How did it work?
Why do you want to be cheap on something like this....You only change the fluid every 30 to 40 tho....so what is the big deal on OEM...In my opinion on all of my Hondas of the past and current...I use OEM fluids for the tranny/CVT OEM Honda coolant and on this 2021 HRV AWD OEM Honda fuild for the rear end....I will not go cheap on these fluids...

Why do you want to be cheap on something like this....You only change the fluid every 30 to 40 tho....so what is the big deal on OEM...In my opinion on all of my Hondas of the past and current...I use OEM fluids for the tranny/CVT OEM Honda coolant and on this 2021 HRV AWD OEM Honda fuild for the rear end....I will not go cheap on these fluids...
How is buying a more expensive fluid to replace oem fluid cheap? An equivalent fluid that meets the specs is all that is required. Castrol, valvoline, amsoil cvt fluids meet the required specs

How is buying a more expensive fluid to replace oem fluid cheap? An equivalent fluid that meets the specs is all that is required. Castrol, valvoline, amsoil cvt fluids meet the required specs
Because just because it says it is I am not going to take a chance....on these fluids I mentioned....Thats me maybe not you...If you feel OK using aftermarket in it go right ahead...I will stick to OEM fluids on the fluids I mentioned....

Because just because it says it is I am not going to take a chance....on these fluids I mentioned....Thats me maybe not you...If you feel OK using aftermarket in it go right ahead...I will stick to OEM fluids on the fluids I mentioned....
I do feel ok using aftermarket fluids. So your original post asking why be cheap answered the OP question about anyone use non oem fluid in a Honda cvt and how did it work in what way?
Everyone else who answered have used different fluids than oem and gave their experience.

You just basically said I use oem fluid and won’t use anything else. Well that’s good for you. To each their own I guess

Nothing against OE fluids except their cost.
I use Idemitsu equivlent ATF in my Honda and Toyota products. The Toyota equivalent is synthetic; the OE fluid is not.
I bet there is more Valvoline MaxLife in older Hondas and Toyotas than OE fluids with great results.
I have used Castrol and Valvoline on a high mileage Altima with excellent results.

Do you have any evidence that other quality fluids are any worse or cause problems?

Nothing against OE fluids except their cost.
I use Idemitsu equivlent ATF in my Honda and Toyota products. The Toyota equivalent is synthetic; the OE fluid is not.
I bet there is more Valvoline MaxLife in older Hondas and Toyotas than OE fluids with great results.
I have used Castrol and Valvoline on a high mileage Altima with excellent results.

Do you have any evidence that other quality fluids are any worse or cause problems?

No, no he does not.

No, no he does not.
You are right except by me doing this I got over 245000 on a 2004 Honda Civic with no issues and on a 2007 Honda Accord 386000 with no issues at all...So that is I guess my proof or better yet they have performed well for me so until otherwise I will continue to use the OEM fluids that I mentioned...

I feel your pain @CarLuver

I'm at ~68K miles on our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder and will be swapping over to aftermarket CVT fluid. I like to do a CVT spill and fill once a year or every 12-15K miles.

I'll probably go with something I can get off the shelf locally like Valvoline CVT fluid.

I used to mail order genuine Nissan NS-3 when I could find it at around $10/qt. I don't see the point in staying with it given I'm out of warranty.

You are right except by me doing this I got over 245000 on a 2004 Honda Civic with no issues and on a 2007 Honda Accord 386000 with no issues at all...So that is I guess my proof or better yet they have performed well for me so until otherwise I will continue to use the OEM fluids that I mentioned...
Just about every Civic and Accord like yours lasts a long time, especially with good service like your cars. Our 2007 TSX (Japan and European Accord) has 210K and hasn't missed a beat. I never check the oil. I use Idemitsu equivalent ATF and believe it is superior to the Honda fluid. It pulls better, but that could be the placebo effect... I would srive this car to NY right now and not even check under the hood. I love this car.
UxrY9FdCYEiZJ4-4Hwo12zc5A6V0QuECZn8oJVscNMI7am6Ht_lDIKuJW3ZeJYI0Ggn_mtMuvDBm1Ae8akMcFb12neAV-q7tPwXxc_gd_kwp7TR6MqWpljBLDn8M6NCrp-d9ptLYwe_TnpMCWaAq7SfEe5Sba_0v09VoWt6jx5MizanNJXRhvZ48_YsmT2J65juH5rTryyfEOOlCummK59dptmD_ncTZ3TF-dV0sWgDjw9sLtN9EInXIH0NJspg_qIAErTAAhjUPvnxZfg8WY3LTdYd4w_4BJ63qhKwMW40BMnAHWBAbDgmNJhw0VKVtA1II3PorkplT3iAsDjvwavhM3cP4OZ2EF3d5DwqnHukyJjDJJGI41Td36Za8kwmwTaGUOP0fndPaI3WCJffNUws1HjE9O-MhT4ipv3eKS8jCEkuNAXSmtZ5QI4zHU6un3vFCHwdty7fFFAVBAzqV-cgqDKg_8gq8yah4UXOEXedF14ABWYwSUcqAcOMUs_zpzvyB3FGBfskaReeZ_tf1EK5dMwtEHD9eJreLVl9E73Ju1GzA1YnivDJK4MWsci4JsAy8crWY7ANAAcCdUSC3f4lCkk4PDZZ7wHwiu40V_6f6bz8tHgj5K67Oxw9bFmhXkfjNHrp80CvboQ1KKrLPRyJmHh7GG02fmFmdNJwsmwkyogRQKwIkHgW0LqnSCUxEuEekfCsg_8l2rr5pVZ2wSW6gokXlOHF644xnBWle5B6tbyJM8szr-6y7IM7kMw=w1178-h883-no

I can understand that. If it works why change it. 👍

Valvoline CVT fluid is good and widely available :)

I've used Amalie CVT on a 2013 Accord with no problems. Amalie also makes the house brand stuff for Autozone and AAP. All of these are amber in color like the Honda HCF-2. Valvoline is also amber.

Castrol CVT is red, but there is nothing wrong with it.
Don’t use. When I was a Honda tech, if we pulled the plug and saw red which was a few times, it opens up too many doors, you don’t want the headache.

Back