Honda Civic using 5w-30 instead of 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I'm not much of an oil expert. When I did my oil change, the only oil I had laying around was 5w-30 pennzoil platinum. My 2001 civic with 105k miles calls for 5w-20. Will it cause harm to my engine using the thicker oil? I didn't think so, but read online. Some opinions are that the thicker oil can damage components because the engine wasn't designed for thicker oil. Sounds reasonable to an oil newb like me. Should I change the oil? Thanks.

Then why so many nay sayers on running 10-30 in a 5-30 application? Not being a jerk, just asking.

If your Civic has a VTEC engine, you may notice a slight difference in cold (winter) conditions, slower application at higher RPMs, but I don't think a standard 4 cylinder will notice a difference at all, other than a microscopic, likely unmeasurable MPG loss.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Then why so many nay sayers on running 10-30 in a 5-30 application? Not being a jerk, just asking.

10W30 is not any meaningful amount thicker than a 5W30 until well below 0*F.

It will have no ill affect at all! In fact it's probably better for your engine.

Also, if it makes you feel better, PP 5w-30 is a very thin 30 grade oil, it is not much thicker than a 20 grade.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
Excellent. Thanks for the input everyone. I can rest easy.

+1

That says a lot...

I put 5w40 in my 2003 Civic my last oil change ( got the oil for free). It actually sounded a bit quieter. However it's made it to 230k on 5w20 so I don't think it matters much, older Honda's are fine with pretty much any oil.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

10W30 is not any meaningful amount thicker than a 5W30 until well below 0*F.

What he 👆said 100%. ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by jbutch
Also, if it makes you feel better, PP 5w-30 is a very thin 30 grade oil, it is not much thicker than a 20 grade.

The difference can literally be .1cSt...not worth setting one's hair on fire🔥!

10w30 is in many peoples opinion, a BETTER choice. It starts off with a thicker base oil, and typically requires less VII to meet the 30 grade HOT specs. It tends to be more shear resistant and often has a lower NOACK as well. And it meets maximum viscosity limits at a still VERY COLD -25*C and -30*c ( -13*F and -22*f ).

A 5w, or an 0w oil will perform better at EXTREME COLD temps, but 10w30 is just fine for summer use and in climates that don't see temperatures even lower than those used for testing a 10w rating.

FYI: An 0w oil meets maximum viscosity pumping limits at - 40*c ( - 40* F ... ! ).

Last edited:
Let me help ease the angst in the OP's mind.

On my '03 Civic that currently has 163k miles, I've run 5/20 and 0/20 from Redline and M1 EP. The car has no consumption issues and still cranks out mid 30's highway mpg.

I'm currently running PP 5/30 which is a very thin 30 and the cars sounds great, runs great, I can't tell if I'm taking a mileage hit or not but doubtful and overall, the car is living a very happy life and yours will too.

If it helps, you can go to the manufacturer's sites for different regions of the world and after you plug in your car info, the recommended viscsosities are 5/30 and 5/40. No x/20 recommendations were found in the hot parts of the world.

PP 5/30 is a great oil for cars specd for x/20.

15W40 is even a recommended weight for my Accord. I feel 10W30 is the sweet spot. Runs smooth as silk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back