Honda and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the others are saying the problem is the EaO13. It's been discontinued and replaced with the Ea15K13. It's the same media, but different construction.

I am a little confused, you said 5W-20, did you mean 0W-20 ASM?

You should go 15K miles on the filter without any issues.

Pablo - Yes, I've been listing the incorrect oil. ASM 0w-20 is what I have. I bought the case of 4, one gallon containers and 4 Ea0-13 filters in Sept of '09.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: k24a4
You sound like a busy guy, but have you considered doing your own oil changes? It requires some space and time, but is really quite easy. It can be done in 10-20 minutes and most of this time is allowing the old oil to drain out. You also have the satisfaction in the knowledge that the job was done correctly (hopefully). Personally, I have a stash of pure1 filters purchased at $3 and pennzoil platinum @$20 which equals a high quality synthetic oil change for ~$23. With your driving style I would think you could go 10k+ easily.

At $80 an oil change would it not be more cost effective to either do it yourself or have it done less expensively, but more frequently, at an express lube or tire retailer? You would also be buying yourself some peace of mind, and not risking damaging your investment, which is arguably one of the most well engineered vehicles on the road.

I was ripped off at a dealership once and vowed I would learn as much as I could about my car so that it would not happen again. This led to me attempting and succeeding at basic tasks like air filter and oil changes to more involved but equally simple efforts at exchanging a rear sway bar and replacing my brake pads. It is rewarding and fun. I can't afford a new vehicle every x amount of years, and so hope to keep my Honda as long as possible.

Amen! I don't know if you can hit it on the head better than that, even if you just do the oil changes the $ you would save on dealer changes will pay for the equipment in a few OCI's plus you know exactly what is going in your car. I get free dealer changes for my Accord and I just drained 5qts. of just pure garbage oil when the engine only calls for 4qts. w/o filter change. This is a Honda dealership, a bunch of jabronies.

Last edited:
I have a 02 Accord EX, and also extend my OCI. I however run off the shelf synthetics when doing so, and at one time was shooting for 15k OCI, however to be honest I hot around 13K before I change when using a synthetic. I also use a top tier oil filter.. but I'm not sure this is really needed to the point of my 13k OCI..

I also run conventional, and this is my best bang for buck OCI, I get 10K on conventional using a top tier oil filter and the oil filter of choice of last few OCI's have been Fram XG.. and when using conventional I run the oil filter for two consecutive OCI's.. I know many scuff at this regimen, however it is noted in the Honda owners manual as to running the oil filter for two consecutive OCI's, and I'm also running a top tier filter in which I think the fram XG is a much better built filter than the OEM... I have also used lesser grade filters with no problems.. and I will also admit that I do not hit 10K every time, sometimes 8k but always between 8k-10k.

So in thinking about this in a scientific way, we have no problems running a filter for 15-20k using top tier filters, so it should be perfectly acceptable to do the same thing when running conventional, not because your a cheapskate, but because the filter can handle it, the OEM recommends this practice, filters may become more efficient when doing this etc etc.. Also your looking at a very very low cost oil maintenance regimen using top tier products,and the most important of all is running what Honda specified in oil type/grade/etc (LOL)

BUT this is not a jab against amsoil by no means and I will make a point that M1 5w-20 EP is in my sump at his very moment because of the good deal I got, it seems I run synthetics more than conventional... I'm lazy and put on a lot of miles so using synthetic get me a few more thousand miles without having to fool with oil changes, and this is perfect when the weather is freezing cold/wet or hot/humid.

Originally Posted By: bryceban
Originally Posted By: flyingtoaster
I would use an S2000 filterr for extra capacity.

Do you know if an S2000 filter (like WIX 51334) would fit my 02 Civic LX? Thanks.

Yes, the gasket seating area is the same. The can is about 50% bigger in voluume. If for some weird reason it doesn't, I'll buy it off you.

Originally Posted By: bryceban
I would use an S2000 filterr for extra capacity.

Do you know if an S2000 filter (like WIX 51334) would fit my 02 Civic LX? Thanks.

Yes, the gasket seating area is the same. The can is about 50% bigger in voluume. If for some weird reason it doesn't, I'll buy it off you.

Awesome I've been trying to figure out which oversize filter to run on this car. Thanks!

I've been using the WIX 51334/Napa Gold 1334 on my 1992 Civic VX. Is this the largest filter for my Honda?

I also use Amsoil and didn't want to start another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back