Honda and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys - please comment on my experience. I have a 2008 Civic Sedan EX. I drive a lot of miles, mostly highway, currently have 124,000 on it (41,000 annually)

I got 4 or 5 free oil changes from the dealer when I bought the car, so I went to the dealer for the first 30,000 or so. For the past 90,000 miles I've been using the top full syn 5-20 Amsoil and the Ams EA0-13 filter trying to extend OCIs.

My expereince is that I would get low oil pressure warnings at about 12K to 13k miles. My mech has recommended that I keep the oil for 20k and change filter at 10k. Sound reasonable?

Some Honda's and Toyota's have 'issues' with long OCI's and Amsoil filters - the filters plug up.

Your best bet is to talk to one of the site sponsors about what is available to use - Amsoil may have fixed this issue, but I'm not sure.

I know changing oil can be a pain at times re. getting the time to do it, but why fool with a car that will go on for miles??? Change it at 10k and your problem is over and no future fun and games. IMHO

What I don't know, but REALLY WISH I DID, is whether I was getting oil pressure warnings after 13k miles due to the filter being abit clogged, or the oil level low.

I am an idoit for not finding this out the 2 times it happened to me. Makes it harder to decide a new course of action.

I'm sure the Amsoil has done fine for me, but to be honest, I'm considering going Mobil One EP w/ Mobil one filter and going 12k - 14k OCI. Would that work, or should I stick with Amsoil and watch the oil level better?

I guess the root of your question is weather you're getting the low pressure because the oil has thinned by that point, or if the filter is clogged.

It would be interesting to see if you change the filter if that light goes away.

You're certainly perfectly setup for a really long OCI.

Edit, must have been typing at the same time. I would do the M1 EP for 12~14 and call it day if you want to keep things easy.

Last edited:
If I were to decide on 10K OCI, I could use a less expensive oil and filter (less than Amsoil) YES?

Would really like to get 15k+ if at all possible.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
I know changing oil can be a pain at times re. getting the time to do it, but why fool with a car that will go on for miles??? Change it at 10k and your problem is over and no future fun and games. IMHO

10K for the OP is every 3 months.
I would probably use Mobil 1 EP every 4 months with a good filter like Purolator or Wix.
This way you'd be changing the oil at just about the time you get the low pressure warning with the Amsoil filter/oil combo (12 to 13K).

I'm liking that suggestion bepperb. It would likely save me a little $$ and the M1 stuff certainly is easier to get than the Amsoil.

AMSOIL has a TSB that recommends following the OEM guide for oil filter changes on Honda:

TSB: FL-2010-04-01

Date: 4/16/10
Product Description: AMSOIL EaO13 Oil Filter
Subject: Honda/Acura/Chrysler Imports/Ford Probe/Nissan/Infiniti/Mazda/Mercury Villager/Mitsubishi/Saturn Applications

Technical Service Bulletin

OBJECTIVE:
Inform customers of an issue regarding the oil sensor tripping in 2001-2010 Honda and 2002-2010 Acura vehicles.

ISSUES:
A small number of customers with affected vehicles have reported their vehicles’ oil pressure lights have illuminated prior to reaching the end of the AMSOIL-recommended 25,000-mile change interval.

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION:
To protect the engine, the OEM engineered the oil pressure sensor to trigger the oil light when there is insufficient oil pressure to maintain an adequate level of protection. Each filter is equipped with a by-pass valve, so when the filter is at or close to capacity, the engine is continually supplied with adequate lubrication oil, although unfiltered. However, if the filter reaches maximum capacity, the level
of restriction can become significant enough to trigger the oil pressure warning light. In extreme situations, oil starvation can occur. Premature oil filter capacity can be attributed to a number of factors such as poor air filtration, a leaking air intake system or excessive contaminants being produced in the combustion process.

RECOMMENDATION:
AMSOIL recommends changing the EaO13 Oil Filter according to OEM-recommended intervals in the following applications:
• 2001-2010 Honda
• 2002-2010 Acura
• 1992-2006 Chrysler imports
• 1993-1997 Ford Probe
• 1996-2010 Nissan/Infiniti
• 1971-2000 Mazda
• 1999-2000 Mercury Villager
• 1990-2010 Mitsubishi
• 2004-2007 Saturn

Customers using an EaO13 Oil Filter beyond the OEM-recommended interval in any of the listed applications are advised to change the filter at the earliest opportunity. If the oil light is triggered, change the filter immediately to avoid damage. AMSOIL also offers WIX Filters as an alternative to the Ea line of filtration products. If a WIX Oil Filter is used, AMSOIL recommends changing it at the OEM-recommended interval.

Last edited:
That TSB was sent to me in the mail, and my mechanic was very aware of it. I guess that's why he is suggesting the 20k for oil, 10k for filter intervals.

How odd, considering my OM recommends 7.5k oil changes and a new filter every other oil change. This makes the change interval on the filter 15k.
21.gif

MadMike4 My expereince is that I would get low oil pressure warnings at about 12K to 13k miles. My mech has recommended that I keep the oil for 20k and change filter at 10k.[/quote said:
This is interesting and somewhat discouraging if the problem turns out to be the filter. Honda's maintenance recommendation is to change the oil filter every other oil change which works out from 10k miles to up to 20k miles depending on driving conditions. They've been recommending this for years. Doesn't seem like the filter should plug up as low as 12-13k.

I've done the "every other OCI filter change" a few times on my Civic (with OEM and Wix filters) and never seen the oil pressure light, though, so it could be an Amsoil filter thing or it could be unrelated...

Originally Posted By: MoparDak05
How odd, considering my OM recommends 7.5k oil changes and a new filter every other oil change. This makes the change interval on the filter 15k.
21.gif

Darn, cross posted!

I'd use a different filter if I were you. If I were getting an oil pressure light at 12-13K, I don't think I'd trust the filter to 10K.

Keep in mind the typical recommended Honda interval is 15-20K for a filter. If I were in your shoes I thing I'd use the OEM Honda filter or a Fram Extended Guard and run the Amsoil to 20K.

You could also change the filter out at 10K, but honestly that filter is no fun to change. It kinda defeats your purpose of the extended drain (decreasing maintenance). At that point, it seems that it would make more sense to skip an expensive extended drain oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back